MSG or Accent Rub Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I dipped a toe in a local BBQ contest last fall and we did ok, some of the teams had meat that I’d consider exceptional. Not taking anything away from their skill and choice of meat, but a few of them told me they included MSG in the rub and they felt it helped “Accent” more subtle flavors. My team of backyard guys get together once a month for practice and to BS and I’ve been looking at experimenting with MSG in the rub. My wife was concerned, but after reading a lot I’m convinced it’s in most of our foods already and occurs naturally…. A flavor that share’s the same glutamate molecule, umami.

So my question, for experimental purposes, is it advisable to add to a rub already created without it?
If so how much to a cup? My thought is 1/2 teaspoon.
Or is it better to start a new batch of rub around including Accent/MSG?

thank you!

I dipped a toe in a local BBQ contest last fall and we did ok, some of the teams had meat that I’d consider exceptional. Not taking anything away from their skill and choice of meat, but a few of them told me they included MSG in the rub and they felt it helped “Accent” more subtle flavors. My team of backyard guys get together once a month for practice and to BS and I’ve been looking at experimenting with MSG in the rub. My wife was concerned, but after reading a lot I’m convinced it’s in most of our foods already and occurs naturally…. A flavor that share’s the same glutamate molecule, umami.

So my question, for experimental purposes, is it advisable to add to a rub already created without it?
If so how much to a cup? My thought is 1/2 teaspoon.
Or is it better to start a new batch of rub around including Accent/MSG?

thank you!
Nothing wrong with msg in my opinion. I use it in my sausages, most of them. It does make a difference in that it provides a flavor you can’t put your finger on but it’s good just the same. I think that is bringing up those subtle flavors without over powering. It works great and is in many of the premix sausage seasonings.

All that said, how much meat do you season with 1 cup of rub? I use half the recommended 1/2 tsp per pound of meat. So that is I use 1/2 tsp to 2 pounds meat. That’s ground meat and mixed in so you will have to mix up a cup of your favorite rub and try it, then adjust it up or down for your preference.

Reactions: bauchjw
All you can do is a blind side-by-side cook, like thighs and ribs, one with MSG and one without.

The first competition cooking class I took, the instructor had a 1# container of MSG amongst his collection of seasonings and rubs, he was not shy about using it. Later, one of my mentors told me "any comp cook that says they don't use MSG is either lying or loosing". And if you read labels, all the long time favorite competition rubs like Cimarron Docs, Smokin' Guns, Birds and Bones and Plowboy's Yardbird have MSG.

On the upside, MSG has much less sodium than table salt and can enhance the flavor of food while decreasing the need for salt. If you take the 1/2 teaspoon per pound recommended amount (which I think is too generous) you could experiment with cutting any other salt in the recipe in half. Or mixing a shaker of 50:50 MSG and sea salt by weights, and see how that works for cooking or at the table. MSG works well on things like eggs, veggies or tomatoes (fresh or sauce form).

Nothing wrong with msg in my opinion. I use it in my sausages, most of them. It does make a difference in that it provides a flavor you can’t put your finger on but it’s good just the same. I think that is bringing up those subtle flavors without over powering. It works great and is in many of the premix sausage seasonings.

All that said, how much meat do you season with 1 cup of rub? I use half the recommended 1/2 tsp per pound of meat. So that is I use 1/2 tsp to 2 pounds meat. That’s ground meat and mixed in so you will have to mix up a cup of your favorite rub and try it, then adjust it up or down for your preference.
Thank you! It’s good to hear I can just mix in and the 1/4 teaspoon for 1 pound sounds like a great starting point with the other info!

"About ½ teaspoon of MSG is enough to season a pound of meat"
Thank you! Helps reinforce my direction!

All you can do is a blind side-by-side cook, like thighs and ribs, one with MSG and one without.

The first competition cooking class I took, the instructor had a 1# container of MSG amongst his collection of seasonings and rubs, he was not shy about using it. Later, one of my mentors told me "any comp cook that says they don't use MSG is either lying or loosing". And if you read labels, all the long time favorite competition rubs like Cimarron Docs, Smokin' Guns, Birds and Bones and Plowboy's Yardbird have MSG.

On the upside, MSG has much less sodium than table salt and can enhance the flavor of food while decreasing the need for salt. If you take the 1/2 teaspoon per pound recommended amount (which I think is too generous) you could experiment with cutting any other salt in the recipe in half. Or mixing a shaker of 50:50 MSG and sea salt by weights, and see how that works for cooking or at the table. MSG works well on things like eggs, veggies or tomatoes (fresh or sauce form).
Thank you, I’d like to try to get into competitions besides our local one, stumbling my way there and see this as an opportunity to learn. They were the first to tell me about MSG in rubs, but I’ve heard and read about it a lot since then.
Awesome idea to do the 50/50 mix and the side by side comparison. I’ll definitely do that.

Some really good advice given here! I can't really add anything but I have absolutely no faith in reports or surveys about this or that. That includes what prescription drugs your Dr prescribes. For one simple reason... a couple two or three years ago my Dr said we might have to change my cholesterol medication, but after blood work and a check up he said everything is perfect and we're not changing a thing. So I asked him why he was thinking of changing my meds... he said other drug companies paid more money to recommend their pills.
I put no faith in any study ! Dr's are paid to medicate not cure you.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky