Mother's Day Feast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
Treated my wife to a day of delicious food as part of her mother's day gift from me. Each meal had some type of pork in it, so this seems like the best place!

Breakfast was the breakfast sandwiches my dad makes. Really simple and great. Just some breakfast sausage with melted cheddar, a fried egg sunny side up, served on an English muffin with a bit of mayo. No pictures of that one, wasn't thinking!

After breakfast we opened a bottle of bubbly and had mimosas. A cheese plate as a lunch snack with soft brie and goat cheeses, a chorizo, crackers, blackberries, and some cherry jam.
IMG_0666.jpeg

Dinner was two racks of baby backs. On the MBG at 225. These took about 5.5 hours, unfoiled from start to finish.

Lighting the smoker with a mimosa. First time for everything.
IMG_0661.JPG

Ready to eat
IMG_0667.jpeg
IMG_0669.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This was my first rib smoke on the MBG - went pretty good, happy with the results overall! One part of one rack was a touch dry, but looking back I think that rack was leaner than I normally would like, so I think it was the ribs themselves and not anything I did.

If I did not know better I think you love your wife!
Nice nothing beats keeping the lady happy as I'm sure this day did.

Warren
She is a smart woman for sure. She was playing the long game when she encouraged me to upgrade my smoker.

Looks like a great day and a gift to your wife, the food looks excellent!

My wife would love cheese plate. If I made her a rack of ribs she would consider it one of those “gifts for her, but really for me” type of deals.

Very nice!

Looks like a fine day for you and your wife! Great looking food! We were gonna have mimosas also... had glasses and ice, missing champagne and orange juice!

Nice job!
Ryan

Did you leave the pan in during the rib cook ? If so, what liquid was in it ?
I had it in for almost the entire cook. I only took it out the last 30 minutes or so when I sauced the ribs. It had water in it. I've noticed there are some hot spots on the main cook surface, so I was trying to mitigate that with a water pan as a heat sink on the main cook surface and used the middle rack for the ribs.

I am planning to do a bigger smoke this coming weekend for a few neighbors and am contemplating my approach. Do you run your 1050 with any water pan, or do you run it without and use the main cook surface? This weekend I am leaning towards running without one, but I am curious how other MBG owners run theirs. I was going to create a separate post with that question.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky