Mornin! I smell hickory...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noggin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Texas
Tried to give my greetings yesterday, but I believe I posted to the wrong forum.  I never saw the post show up and believe the thread was denied.

In any case, I just wanted to say hello.  I received my first smoker yesterday, a Masterbuilt GS40, and assembled it last night.  It is currently being seasoned with Pam and hickory chips.  Here in about 10 minutes, I'll be throwing in a couple of chickens for lunch.  Right about the time those are done, I'll be putting a 3.5 and a 3.2 lb butt in their place.  Those are small, so they should be done in 3-6 hours, with time to spare before supper!

In between doing the chickens and butts, I may take a break to go to Home Depot.  I have a needle valve and need to pick up a couple of fittings so I can use it.  Went last night, but they closed at 6:00 PM.

I rubbed the butts with Jeff's Rub (http://goo.gl/l1RVMg) last night and put the chickens in an Apple Cider brine (12 cups water, 4 cups apple cider, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup salt).  Chickens came out of the bring this morning and were patted down with the remainder of the rub.  I'll be putting some of JJ's Finishing Sauce (http://goo.gl/qnjIFo) on the butts when they're done.  I'm also going to whip up a batch of Jeff's BBQ sauce too (http://goo.gl/l1RVMg) for the table.  Hope Jeff's stuff is as good as everyone says it is!

Well tahts a heck of a start one the new smoker. Pump out the Qview. We'll be looking forward to the progress.

Welcome to the forum Noggin

You ve come to the best place for great information on smoking and many other types of cooking! Many friendly people here that love to help.  Also make the search button your best friend. There are over a million post in this forum. That powerful information on a vast array of subjects right at your fingertips.

Be sure to join the master built group.  Lots of good folks there to help you with that new smoker. 

Brian 

Welcome to the group!  You'll find that this is a great place to share ideas on smoking, grilling, etc.  There are plenty of folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

Well, the chicken looks  great.  I stuck the probe in the thigh meat and the breast meat, and both read over 167°F so I pulled it out.  I cut into the breast and into the thigh, and they were both done.  As I went to pull the thigh from the body, juice poured out and the meat I could see there was just about raw.

Where should I have measured the temperature?  The temperature probe at the top of the smoker (not the one that is built into the smoker, but one I purchased from Amazon) was reading 235-245°F every time I checked it over the last 3 or 4 hours.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky