More SV steak, this time picanha

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CTXSmokeLover

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 17, 2022
Central TX
Apologies to keep on with the SV beef posts, but my local store had a bunch of prime picanha's for $10.49/lb so I picked one up and decided to try it in the SV.

Turned out delicious. Dry brined the night before. Gave them the bath for a couple of hours at 125 and sear finished on the Weber Kettle. I've never had a bad picanha and this was no exception, just even easier thanks to the SV. Cheers and thanks for looking!
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (8).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (7).jpg

Looking good! Sirloin and SV is a great combination. Bear in mind that a couple of hours at a SV bath temp of 125° is okay... But from a safety standpoint, food cooking at temperatures below 130°F isn't cooking at all, it's just being warmed. The bacteria we are trying to remove from cooking thrive from around 40°F to 126°F when they stop multiplying, but they don't start dying quickly until around 130°F. The upper end food safety temp is usually listed at 140°F but that is kind of a built in safety factor.

For this reason, the minimum SV bath recommended by McGee, Baldwin, Kenji and the folks at Serious Eats is 130°F. What you don't want to do is cook meat at 125° for 4 or more hours.

Last edited:
The meat is so red it looks aged.
Absolutely delicious!
Thirdeye has a good point, it is not safe to SV below 130. I usually set mine to 132 just to be safe.
That being said you only SV’d it for 2 hours, then seared it, so I’d definitely take a plate!
Al

Looking good! Sirloin and SV is a great combination. Bear in mind that a couple of hours at a SV bath temp of 125° is okay... But from a safety standpoint, food cooking at temperatures below 130°F isn't cooking at all, it's just being warmed. The bacteria we are trying to remove from cooking thrive from around 40°F to 126°F when they stop multiplying, but they don't start dying quickly until around 130°F. The upper end food safety temp is usually listed at 140°F but that is kind of a built in safety factor.

For this reason, the minimum SV bath recommended by McGee, Baldwin, Kenji and the folks at Serious Eats is 130°F. What you don't want to do is cook meat at 125° for 4 or more hours.
Good to know! Thanks for the tip!
The meat is so red it looks aged.
Absolutely delicious!
Thirdeye has a good point, it is not safe to SV below 130. I usually set mine to 132 just to be safe.
That being said you only SV’d it for 2 hours, then seared it, so I’d definitely take a plate!
Al
Thanks Al! I'll bump it up a little next time. Love how the dry brine brings out that deep red color

Reactions: JLeonard
That is an excellent cut of beef and you did it full justice. Absolutely beautiful. I'd tear up a few pounds of that :emoji_wink: Don't sweat the SV threads. Heck, all I do is grill and smoke for the most part and I rarely get yelled at so you're well within bounds to keep showing off that perfectly cooked meat.

Robert

That is an excellent cut of beef and you did it full justice. Absolutely beautiful. I'd tear up a few pounds of that :emoji_wink: Don't sweat the SV threads. Heck, all I do is grill and smoke for the most part and I rarely get yelled at so you're well within bounds to keep showing off that perfectly cooked meat.

Robert
Yes, but you have fire being shot at you from beer bottles while you grill...The rest of us just grill .🤣

• Haha
Reactions: CTXSmokeLover
Looks great! I am loving my SV cooker.
Jim
Thanks Jim! They really are a fun toy to have
that looks delicious!!
Thank you! It was very tasty!

Robert
Thanks Robert! Appreciate the kind words!
Looks great! What store?
HEB in Cedar Park

Reactions: LoydB and JLeonard
Awesome, same deal at the one at Southpark Meadows. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky