More Smoked Turkey Legs -- Pics

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by thoseguys26, Mar 21, 2012.

1. thoseguys26

thoseguys26 Master of the Pit

My friends wiped out my smoked turkey leg stash last weekend so it's time to restock. I typically just follow the brine solution recipe on the back of Mortons Tender Quick and then add my own spices to that. I'll brine it for 24hrs and smoke for 4-5 hrs at 230°

I'm still experimenting with all of the variables to see if I like something different. So far, all of the legs have come out fantastic so either I'm a phenomenal cook, keep getting lucky, or having a MES 40 paired with a amzns makes smoking easy as it could be! 

This time, I tried four legs with different spice rubs. From left to right, on the bottom rack, Creole, Chili Powder, maple syrup w/jalapeno powder, & maple syrup w/ cayenne powder. Even if I don't approve the finished product, they'll still be eaten.

I'll be back in a couple hours with the final pics and results!

Swimming in Brine

[​IMG]

Rinsed Off

[​IMG]

Smoking Made Easy Thanks to the A-Maze-N smoker!!

[​IMG]

SmokeN

** MES TIP ** Ok, this may be a stupid tip but I use it all the time. The MES door always closes on it's own, even when you're trying to load it up rack by rack. I'm new to this smoker and I would have to put something in front of the door or put my knee against a nice smokey seasoned door to stop it from closing.... All you have to do is pull out any rack a couple inches and it'll stop the door from closing. It'll hold it open plenty wide to load up the racks. See picture below, the bottom rack is pulled out a bit to stop the door from closing. 

[​IMG]

Be back soon! Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Not much prettier than full Smoker and some nice Legs!...JJ

3. thoseguys26

I agree Chef JJ, legs are a thing to enjoy, especially alongside a nice full smoker! My Amnzs went out so I had to reload it and the MES pan to beef up the smoke and dropped the temp to120 since the legs are pretty much done but they turned out more of a baked leg than smoked because of my dead Amnzs. Shouldn't be a hard fix but a delay for sure...

4. thoseguys26

Not a hard fix, in fact I learned a little about texture and moisture. Check out my Tleg pics!  I only tried the Creole flavored one tonight because it was late and I gotta get my ZZZz'z  These things keep getting better and better. We'll see tomorrow how they are after they've rested a night in the cold. I'll let you know how the other flavors turned out later.

Here's some love!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cant wait to chew on a cold one tomorrow but the hot one was fantastic!! 

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  5. sam3

sam3 Smoking Fanatic

Oh man!  Those look great!!!

6. thoseguys26

The Creole flavored one was great. The season wasn't at all overwhelming and actually had a little heat to it. I just used Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning on the one leg. I will definitely be playing with that spice on my smoked legs in the future. Probably even add some cayenne to spice it up more. I'll updated when I try the other flavored ones. 

[​IMG]

7. Give this stuff a whirl. I put it on damn near everything

[​IMG]

8. Look great and I love Tony's. I've used it on smoked salmon and chicken.

9. thoseguys26

I'll have to try that. I'm usually not a premixed spice guy but I'll have to say Tony's was good. I would have definitely bought the spicy one if I saw it the store. I'm a Spice Junky.

10. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Legs looks great .
    :drool

11. harleysmoker

harleysmoker Smoking Fanatic

Good looking legs!

12. thoseguys26

Well, I had to run to the sporting goods store on the other end of town and decided to stop in an organic grocery store to see if they had any turkey legs. The Jenny-o legs have been really small lately. Well, to my surprise, they had some Huge O Legs! over 2 lbers. I cleaned them out, bought em all. Figured I'd try some gigantic turkey buffalo wings and a duck this weekend! 

[​IMG]

13. thoseguys26

Got em sealed and in the freezer. I'll probably start a whole new post to compare the different times, methods, and general comparison between the big legs and the little ones. Take care everyone!

[​IMG]

14. The legs look good! :biggrin:

15. thoseguys26

Thanks! Can't wait to try out the huge legs I just bought.   I tried all of the flavors I made and the Creole and Chili powder ones were by far the most flavorful. The maple syrup didn't adhere and you couldn't taste it at all and for some reason the cayenne and jalapeño powder didn't seem to exist. Next time I'll really cake on the spices.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  16. missed-em

missed-em Smoke Blower

Now I got to shoot a turkey - or 2 - and fire up the MES!

17. thoseguys26

I wish I had some wild turkey legs in my MES. We used to get a lot of turkey's in MI & WI, even with our bow, as many tags as you want!

18. thoseguys26

Here's what's in the brine tonight! Some beastly boys! 

[​IMG]

19. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

looks great

20. thoseguys26

The big legs came out great! The only difference is longer brining and longer smoking time, more meat and bigger tendons.  I think I like the smaller ones better because they're perfect size for a snack or meal portion and you eat it all in one sitting. Either or, they're great! Give them a try if you haven't yet!!

Here's some Q-View LoveN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]