More Rotisserie Chicken Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddave

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 3, 2008
Far Northern California
Decided to do some more chicken thighs on the rotisserie today. The last time I did them they certainly could have stood a little more heat to get rid of a little more of the fat. The kids don't like them slimy.
biggrin.gif

So I loaded the charcoal basket with a layer of Kingsford Comp . . .

then some Cowboy lump that I had left. (Part of a bag left. Mostly small pieces so the layer of Kingsford helped keep the Cowboy from falling through the grate.
biggrin.gif
)

Then I lit about 1/2 a chimney of Kingsford Comp, dumped it in and we were off.

Here are the thighs seasoned and loaded in the basket . . .

Salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder on the left, and Mad Hunky on the right.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Here they are almost ready to come off.

(The basket got swapped around when I loaded it.
biggrin.gif
)

And ready to serve . . . Mad Hunky rubbed

And the other ones.

Unfortunately they spent most of the time around the 300° to 325° mark. I got kind of a late start so I didn't really let the drum warm up enough to get the coal bed started before I put the chicken on. Much later on in the cook as I had the lid off for awhile checking temps, the coals got going and we had some serious heat as measured by the 12" deep fry thermo.

It dropped down to 375° or so pretty quickly and stayed there about the last 20 minutes and for probably about an hour after I took them off. The thighs were a little better this time. Still could have been cooked hotter. Next time I'll start earlier and let the coal bed get going good before I put the chicken on.

They were still tasty though, I just need to tweak the proccess a bit.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Great looking birds, I need some more info on the rotisserie deal you have going please, ya don't hear the word please on here very often huh.
biggrin.gif

Still looks great even thought it was a late start, Nice Job Dave.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Certainly. The rotisserie is an EZ Que for Weber Kettle with a 6" cradle

http://www.ezqueinc.com/kettlering.htm

Unfortunately, from what I've heard people have been having trouble ordering from them for quite some time. I got mine from a guy on Craigslist. Here's the thread I posted when I first got it.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=81594

Weber also makes a rotisserie attachment for the 22.5 grill.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-2290-2-I.../dp/B00004VWM1

Hope this helps.

Dave

I have a couple of spits, two baskets, tools and today off.. Should be rotissing some grub by 1300.
Looks good Dave
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

The Easy Que ring is all stainless steel. It also comes with a cradle that has arms that clamp down on whatever you're rotissing instead of a normal spit rod. Of course the cradle won't work with a basket.
biggrin.gif
But a normal spit rod will fit the EZ Que motor.

I have heard from folks who have both that the EZ Que has a higher quality motor. I know it's pretty heavy and has some sort if flywheel inside to help it turn. When you kill the power the rotisserie continues for 1/4 to 1/2 turn before stopping.

Dave

I got my Weber rotisserie at Home Depot. It fit my Genesis like a glove. I just mounted it on my drum today after seeing yet another post of DDave's with the rotisserie. It works just fine..

Yep.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
As long as the basket is centered.

And here's a shot of the cradle for those who are curious.

It's a 6" cradle which works good for chickens, tri tips, butts, although I haven't tried a butt on the rotisserie yet.. They make an 8" cradle but I've heard it's been on "backorder" for over a year. The 6" cradle is a little small for turkeys though but you can use the regular spit rod and forks and truss it.

Technically, I guess you don't necessarily need the ring. You could just slot the drum and use the kettle lid. The ring gives you a little more clearance though.

Dave

This is what I did.. Basket spins with plenty of clearance. That ring thing looks cool though. I just mounted mine right to the drum, I never use the spit on the Genesis anyway..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky