More Ribsssss

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joed617

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 13, 2006
North East
These 2 racks were also done 2 weeks ago.. my mom was down so we had to feed her. She said she didn't like BBQ until she had mine.. Ahh mothers.. in the smoker 225deg.. apple sauce spray for 8 hours.. yes I did wrap in foil after 4 hours.

Joe, ain't Mom's great. Nice ribs too- What did you use for a rub?

Say...those are nice looking ribs, Joe!
I'm getting ready to do about 4 slabs of ribs on Father's Day and I cannot wait! This will be my 1st attempt using the 3-2-1 method. I am going to spray them with pineapple juice.

Hi Prp, I cooked those ribs for close to 8 hours, I smoke'm with apple wood. I did foil them until the meat pulled back a 1/4 of an inch or so and unfoiled them to firm them up. I'll be doing ribs this weekend again and possibly a boston butt if I can find one if not, I'll do a shoulder. I ran out of pulled pork on wednesday

Joe

Hey Dutch, This is my rub recipe.

1/4 cup of each of......
Salt
Pepper
cumin
chili powder
garlic granuals
onion powder
dry mustard

1/3 cup of paprika

3/4 to 1 cup of dark brown sugar

3 tbs cayenne pepper <more or less depending on your taste>

I store it in zip lock bag..

Joe

Thanks Joe, I'll have to add this one to my collection of Rub recipes. Since I have to watch my sodium intake, I'll be cutting back the amount of salt used.

Hey Dutch, I know what ya mean about the salt. I have to cut back on sugar .. Hope you enjoy the rub.

Joe

Hey, prplptcrzr2003,

how did those Father's Day ribs turn out? If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy the ribs? I'll be trying the 3-2-1 method in the next week or so.

thanks,

CCollins
Atlanta, GA

Hey CCollins,
We usually gets them at either Kroger, Publix or Wal-Mart - whoever has the best price/quality (we don't always get the cheapest). The ribs came out great. 3-2-1 method is the best I have ever had. Meat came off the bone and was juicy. 3-2-1 method is not hard to do at all. I highly reccomend it.

BTW, it's nice to find a fellow Georgian in the forum! I'm in Lawrenceville. Good luck - stay in touch.

Never thought of pineapple juice...has anyone ever experimented with different juices? I've thought of apple cider vs. juice becuase the apple flavor is so much stronger. I've also thought of using cherry juice. Anyone ever just try beer as a spray?

When I started smoking, I used 2 parts Apple juice, 1 part pickle juice; 1 part whiskey.

I have used different juices, but lately have given up on using the alcohol. The cherry juice spray works well with ribs.

I have never used beer as a spray. I like to always go for sweet n spicy 'que, so I usually stick with the fruit juices. Pineapple juice is awesome - not only for flavor, but it's acidity helps to tenderize the meat. I use it alot when brining ribs.

Pineapple juice is dandy, but IMO needs some sugar added as it can leave an acidic almost bitter taste. Pineapple and dark brown sugar rocks!!

I still use the booze as it is proven, and I have yet to see any need to change! :twisted: Anyway, I use 3 parts apple juice, 1 part Jim Beam, and whatever juice I have readily available. This usually includes cherry and pineapple, but sometimes maple syrup, or molassas. Just experiment to see what you like. I do find that the apple juice really brings a nice color to the meat, especially chicken.
b5139999_vbattach10694.jpg

b0e9ad71_vbattach10692.jpg

26a6cabd_vbattach10693.jpg

That sure is a pretty gal there Noah. Makes me wish my girls (26, 25 and 21) were still little and then I remember their TEENAGE years and I'm glad they are all grown up. They have each given me a grandson but now I want granddaughters that I can REALLY SPOIL.

BTW-That pulled meat looks good too!

Thanks Dutch,
I use my little boy in my avatar, and my little girl models for the Q! The only problem is that we have a third on the way! Don't know what yet, but the thought of two teenage girls in the future is looking pretty scary! And look, you had three and survived!

Noah, I hope you have more one 1 bathroom in the house .. I'd start stocking up on toilet paper now, for some reason they can go through cases of it .. I have 2 girls also and a son all in thier 20's and out of the house .. we have one moving back in for a few months this summer to finish school so she can get her credits and graduate ..

Good Luck with the 3rd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky