Mopping in a UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sniltz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2008
China Grove, NC
I am new to UDS's and I was wandering if you can mop in a UDS.  I usually use a offset smoker that I built and I mop the meat after 4 hours of smoking and I was just wandering if I can do that with my UDS. 

Yea you can do it the only issues is you are going to want to be fast because every second the lid is open the hotter your fire is going to get because it is getting a huge burst of oxygen. I have kind of stopped mopping or spritzing in my UDS for that reason but if I am doing it I will do it while I am opening the lid for some other reason such as rotating the meat, inserting a probe, foiling etc. I don't open it just to spritz/mop. But one thing you can do if you want to mop and this is what I do when I know I am going to be opening my lid is to bring the temps down before you open it that way when it gets the oxygen and comes up in temp its right back to where you want it. Here is an example. Lets say I am doing ribs and I am doing the 3-2-1 method. Well after the 3 hour mark I know I am going to open my lid to grab the ribs out so after about 2.5 hours I will start to close up my valve and bring the temps from 225 down to around 200-215 so that when I open my lid to grab the ribs and foil them the UDS will come back up to around 225 where I want it. I don't always do this but a lot of times I will. If I have a helper then I won't do this because I can have them open the lid and hold my thermometers while I grab the meat quick and the lid isn't off that long but if I am alone and I know I am going to be leaving the lid off a while I will drop the temps down. Its all about how fast you can get that lid back onto the smoker and keep the temps from spiking. So in short yes you can mop. Sorry for the long explanation.

Reactions: ecto1
Move quick and be organized mopping should not take to much time anyways.  Don't open it up go look for your mop and then start.  Have everything ready for the mop before you open it up.  I only mop my briskets and when I do I make sure I am organized before I open it up.  if you do this your tempature spike will be almost non exestance due to the fact you lose heat also when you open the smoker.

Thank you for all the help.  I just didn't know if it would be the same as my offset smoker or not.  Great advise!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

When i need to do something to the meat in the smoker, I usually open the lid, take out the rack with the meat on it and close the lid right away. Now I can foil, mop/baste as needed, resituate the meat back on the rack and then open the lid for a quick replacement..

The UDS has become my primary smoker over the gasser.  As the other have said, yes, you can spritz and/or mop just have everything prepared and hit it quickly and get the lid back on.  After a few smokes you'll get a better feel for how your particular setup reacts with the rush of fresh air to the coals and how it responds after being closed back up.  The temp may spike initially after putting the lid back on, but try not to make any intake adjustments initially to see if it settles back down.  Give it a good 15 minutes before you start to make intake adjustments.  

The UDS has become my primary smoker over the gasser.  As the other have said, yes, you can spritz and/or mop just have everything prepared and hit it quickly and get the lid back on.  After a few smokes you'll get a better feel for how your particular setup reacts with the rush of fresh air to the coals and how it responds after being closed back up.  The temp may spike initially after putting the lid back on, but try not to make any intake adjustments initially to see if it settles back down.  Give it a good 15 minutes before you start to make intake adjustments.  
Good advice.. Also, be sure to close your intake before you open the lid. It won't solve your temp rise problem but it will hinder a jet of air getting to your coals.

I just shut everything down for about 15 minutes before I open the lid to do any work. I got tired of chasing teh smoker all over the place so now I don't do much mopping or spritzing. If I do I just do it very quickly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky