Moose German Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
First, let me apologize to everyone on the forums. I have not been able to follow the posts, smoke much or do my own posts for awhile. Life and events just got the better of me.

A kind and generous friend gave me some ground Moose! Thanks, Marj! I decided to make some sausage and split it with her.

I made German Bologna and Mettwurst but I have split the posts to not confuse the recipes. I will do the Mettwurst post as soon as I can.

I started by soaking a 20 inch long 2 1/2 inch FB casing.

I had just over 700 grams (1 1/2 pounds) of ground moose. I cubed the same amount of pork shoulder to make 1.4 kg (3 pounds) of meat.

I put the meat in the freezer for 20 minutes. I ground the pork through the small plate of my stand mixer.

I ran the moose and pork through the small plate for a second grind.

I put the meat in the freezer for 20 minutes.

I made a slurry of:

15 ml (1 tablespoon) kosher salt

10 ml (2 teaspoons) fine grind black pepper

1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) dry mustard

2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground celery seed

1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) garlic powder

1/2 ml (1/8 teaspoon) coriander

1/2 ml (1/8 teaspoon) nutmeg

15 ml (1 tablespoon) light corn syrup

125 ml (1/2 cup) water

150 ml (1/3 cups) dry skim milk powder

4.4 grams (3/5 teaspoon) Prague powder #1

2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) mace

3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) onion powder

17 ml (1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon) paprika

I added 1/2 the meat and 1/2 the slurry to the bowl of my stand mixer with the paddle attached.

I slowly mixed until it was starting to combine and then turned the mixture on medium for 3 minutes.

I took the mixture out and repeated with the second half of the meat and slurry.

I mixed the two halves together well by hand.

I stuffed the sausage into the casing with my LEM stuffer.

I let it sit in the fridge overnight.

I cold smoked with my A-Maze-N pellet smoker with hickory pellets for 4 hours.

I find I get better results when I use my oven to cook the sausage. It goes down to 145 F and gives me better control and more consistent results.

I put it in the oven for 1 hour at 145 F. Then, every 1/2 hour I increase the temperature by 5 F until I get to 180 F. The total cook took about 8 hours to get to my target internal temperature of 155 F.

I plunged the sausage into ice water and then let it hang for 2 hours.

The next day, I sliced it up.

The Verdict

I wish bologna tasted this good when I was growing up! This has a great fine texture without being rubbery. The colour with the moose meat was wonderful. I have made this recipe before with beef. The moose added a stronger flavour that was great. I really like this sausage.

Disco

That is absolutely awesome Disco, very nice ! We love moose. Thanks for the post & recipe... Thumbs Up

That is absolutely awesome Disco, very nice ! We love moose. Thanks for the post & recipe...
icon14.gif
Thanks, Justin! If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go hunting myself!

Disco

Disco, a few question, if you don not mind. I was searching for fleishwusrt and typed in German bologna and found your post.

Looking at your blog what is the difference between your German Bologna and the Mettwurst?

I am doing some trial recipes this weekend and thinking of throwing in 2.5# of one of these in for everyone to taste.

Welcome back Disco!! You have been missed sir. A couple months ago I searched far and wide to find a good recipe for bologna to make for a friend who spent a lot of time in Germany when he was in the military. He's not a fan of what is sold here in the states but loved what he had over there. The recipe I came up with was better than the 'Merican version but still not quite what I was looking for. Yours however has been printed and I will be making a batch of that.

P.S. I just finished up a 10# batch of your Back Bacon and it's absolutely delicious!! Got the wife hooked on that too :-)

Robert

Welcome back Disco!! You have been missed sir. A couple months ago I searched far and wide to find a good recipe for bologna to make for a friend who spent a lot of time in Germany when he was in the military. He's not a fan of what is sold here in the states but loved what he had over there. The recipe I came up with was better than the 'Merican version but still not quite what I was looking for. Yours however has been printed and I will be making a batch of that.

P.S. I just finished up a 10# batch of your Back Bacon and it's absolutely delicious!! Got the wife hooked on that too :)

Robert
Thanks so much! I have been a busy boy through a brutal winter. I am trying to get back into the swing.
Disco, a few question, if you don not mind. I was searching for fleishwusrt and typed in German bologna and found your post.

Looking at your blog what is the difference between your German Bologna and the Mettwurst?

I am doing some trial recipes this weekend and thinking of throwing in 2.5# of one of these in for everyone to taste.
They are similar but the German Bologna has a milder spice blend that has the coriander base of bologna that we are used to. The Mettwurst has a much stronger German style seasoning with a bit of bitterness.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky