montreal smoke meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i used 1 1/4 tsp on my 6 lb brisket. 

i prefer my montreal smoked meat and pastrami cold and thin sliced so i will be changing the cooking process.  the last time i made pastrami i used a wet brine then smoked to IT 195. wrapped in foil for 1/2 hr then into fridge till next afternoon used neighbours meat slicer to cut it all up.  family loved it.   i plan on doing the same thing with this montreal smoked meat.

so you used 4 tsp of instacure?  is it ok to eat like that?

doesnt sodium nitrite have a more powerful salt taste than kosher salt? maybe this added to the salt flav. 

i used 1 1/4 tsp on my 6 lb brisket. 

i prefer my montreal smoked meat and pastrami cold and thin sliced so i will be changing the cooking process.  the last time i made pastrami i used a wet brine then smoked to IT 195. wrapped in foil for 1/2 hr then into fridge till next afternoon used neighbours meat slicer to cut it all up.  family loved it.   i plan on doing the same thing with this montreal smoked meat.

so you used 4 tsp of instacure?  is it ok to eat like that?

doesnt sodium nitrite have a more powerful salt taste than kosher salt? maybe this added to the salt flav. 
 Option 1 was 1/2c ready cure + 1/4 cup kosher salt

Option 2 was 4 TB instacure + 1.5 cup salt

These are not even.  Option 2 calls for WAY too much salt.  I think in fact it is a typo.  I think the recipe creator should have typed 

Option 2: 4 TSP instacure + 1/2 cup kosher salt

which is still too much.  For a 12lb brisket it should be 2 1/4 tsp Instacure + 1/2 cup kosher salt

Whoever used option 2, what do you think?

e2adeby6.jpg

Just got done slicing up half the brisket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that looks great. how's it taste?

i used 3/4 cup kosher salt for my 6 lb brisket.

hope its not too salty.  iv heard you can rinse in water longer if worried about it being too salty

that looks great. how's it taste?

i used 3/4 cup kosher salt for my 6 lb brisket.

hope its not too salty.  iv heard you can rinse in water longer if worried about it being too salty
The fat areas are way too salty.  The lean areas are perfect.  Next time I will trim the fat a bit more before I cure it,  cut the salt to 1cup and use the appropriate amount of cure#1 and I think it will be perfect.  Maybe I'll increase the rinse by an hour

You know what, I'm being really picky.  It's wonderful.  Better than anything I can buy around here.  My wife and kids loved it too.  I don't want anyone to be discouraged by my comments.  This is a wonderful recipe with wonderful flavour.  I found dozens of recipes on the forums but this one seemed so simple and well explained.  I WILL make it again but like I said a few times I'll simply change the salt

Can you describe how the flavor differs from pastrami? From what I've seen, the spices and technique seem very similar.

you are correct with the measurement

michel

here it is:

the taste was awesome but too salty.  certain sections not as salty as others but overall too salty for my taste.  still ate it constantly while slicing.

the fattier parts of the brisket were the saltiest. the colour was perfect.  will definitely try again.  not sure if i should use less salt as that may effect curing or rinse longer with more frequent water changes.

i like the flavour better than pastrami.  just a different blend of spices.  my wife hates cloves but loved this. 

until next try.....

I was wondering how long you can keep this, I know cured meats will store for a while but how long do you recommend keeping it the the refrigerator?

I was lucky enough to try bagbeards and it was amazing,  I will attempt to duplicate his results.

instacure measurments 1tsp per 5 bls of meat

Michel      be careful with that stuf

Can you describe how the flavor differs from pastrami? From what I've seen, the spices and technique seem very similar.
Typically, from Wikipedia;

Although the preparation methods may be similar, Montreal smoked meat is cured in seasoning with more cracked peppercorns  and aromatic spices, such as coriander, and significantly less sugar than New York pastrami. Montreal smoked meat is made with brisket, while pastrami is more commonly made with the navel/plate cut.[sup][1][/sup]  The meat is typically served in the form of a rye bread  sandwich  slathered with yellow mustard. While some Montreal smoked meat is brine-cured like corned beef, with spices applied later, many smoked meat establishments prefer dry-curing directly with salt and spices.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky