• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Monster Tomahawk

tripleq

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 13, 2016
Ok , the wife just walked in with a monster 4-4.5" thick tomahawk. Im thinking on running the komodo up hot and going for a crosshatch sear maybe about 3 minutes rotate then flip and repeat. suggestions? Maybe sous vide a bit then sear? this will be my thickest piece of meat to date out side of roasts

sawhorseray

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Lucky you! I'd go sous vide then torch it, hard to screw that up. RAY

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Man I’ve seen a thread on here where a wife gave her husband a smoker early for Christmas and now this!! My wife’s going to have to step it up LOL

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Smoke to 110°-115° and then reverse sear on a screaming hot grill or CI pan to 130°-135°.

tripleq

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 13, 2016
Ok I went with a traditional screaming hot sear about 3 minutes rotate, another 3 and flip and repeat, threw down a diffuser and smothered the coals. Tossed some butter on and pulled when the IT was about 115. Foiled and let it rest. It coasted to about medium . I should have pulled it 10 deg earlier but we still stood over it and ate most of it right there in the kitchen.

Attachments

tripleq

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 13, 2016
Ok I went with a traditional screaming hot sear about 3 minutes rotate, another 3 and flip and repeat, threw down a diffuser and smothered the coals. Tossed some butter on and pulled when the IT was about 115. Foiled and let it rest. It coasted to about medium . I should have pulled it 10 deg earlier but we still stood over it and ate most of it right there in the kitchen.
The last was the dogs standing around waiting for their fair share... yea right, tomahawk no, beef sticks soaked in tomahawk juice, ok.

tripleq

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 13, 2016
The last was the dogs standing around waiting for their fair share... yea right, tomahawk no, beef sticks soaked in tomahawk juice, ok.
I didn't go the reverse sear for this one was..... because.... well because I was a lazy bastard.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That is one fine looking steak!!
Nicely done!
Al

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Looks like you did good. We always share a couple of pieces with skidmard, after all he's out there guarding the pit.

Point for sure
Chris

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks Great, Trip!!!
Mighty Tasty!
I used to trim the Fat off of my Old Lab's share of my Steak.
Fat's not good for Dogs, so I ate the Fat!!!

Bear

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
My wife never treats me to steaks like that,looks great nice color perfectly cooked. Likes
Richie

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.