Monitoring internal temp, analog thermometer mount?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark W

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Hi all,

I just bought an MES 130B. Do the temperature levels differ much inside the unit from top to bottom, or from side to side?

I know that everyone suggests digital probes. I do have one, and will probably upgrade to a better dual probe unit soon. It seems to me that it would be nice to have an quality analog one permanently mounted for a quick simple guide at times. What do you think of that? Where would you mount it?

Also, for the digital probes, do you run the wire through the door, or down the vent? Do you use some kind of holder to hold it in place? Thanks for any help!

I use wooden spring clothes pins to suspend/hold the probes from the top rack. The problem with analog therms is they are usually fixed so you can't move it next to your food so you'll get an idea but ideally you want the temp by your food. As long as it boil tests accurately it's usable. I like the large digital numbers to read vs dial. I run my wires down the vent. The temps vary left to right top to bottom. The top rack is the second highest temp after the bottom rack being close to the element. With all the Mes I've seen with windows and people that over load the chip burner and make a white out inside their smoker with too much smoke, I can see all of them have a torrent of heat rising straight up the back wall at the right rear corner before finding its way to the top vent. The Mes controller toggle looking sensor is on the back wall and you can't block the heat to it with foiling a rack or butting a pan up against the back wall without adverse effects. You can put an aluminum disposable pan on the bottom rack and slide it to move heat without blocking it.

I use a magnet to hang the probe at the level I am cooking at.
Magnet.JPG
Richie

Hmm... I guess most people don't bother with the analog thermometer. Seems like an inexpensive aid worry free aid, no wires, batteries, etc. for the simpler cooks. Was looking at this one...

Hmm... I guess most people don't bother with the analog thermometer. Seems like an inexpensive aid worry free aid, no wires, batteries, etc. for the simpler cooks. Was looking at this one...
True but if you drill a hole in the smoker your going to void your warranty JMHO
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky