Moinks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
With the holiday fast approaching I thought I would bring another old standby appetizer to light. The moink, Let me start by saying moinks have been around for years(nothing new here), however they have evolved throughout that period. In their infancy they were made by wrapping a pre-made frozen meatball with bacon and dipping it in BBQ sauce. And now through the natural evolution of all things smoked - the skies the limit. The name is derived from Mo(cow sound) oink(pig sound).

Lets start with the mix'ens. Everybody has their own favorite meatball recipe so I won't go into great detail about my ingredients. Just these simple items. I like to use 70/30 burger meat for the extra fat content.
DSC00690.JPG

I also like turkey meatballs so I made a batch using ground turkey. Spices for the turkey were Weber roasted garlic and herb rub, parmesan cheese, pepper, parsley flakes, one semi beaten egg, and bread crumbs. I guess we could call these goinks.
DSC00691.JPG

Roll mixture into small meatballs - a little smaller then a golfball. Going from left to right you have the turkey meatball, frozen premade, and finally the homemade meatball. Don't pay attention to the turkey burger and regular hamburger.
DSC00692.JPG

I like to stuff some of mine for a little variety. Here I've cubed up some smoked horseradish cheddar cheese.
DSC00693.JPG

Just stuff into the center of the meatball and reshape it. Simple right!!!
DSC00694.JPG

Now for an added bonus. A slice of jalapeno goes in with the cheese. Notice I didn't core or deseed. I like the added punch.
DSC00695.JPG

Now just slice the bacon in half and roll it around the meatball. Secure it with a toothpick. Here is the premade meatball getting ready for it's bacon jacket.
DSC00696.JPG

Repeat the bacon rolling process until all the meatballs are done.
DSC00697.JPG

Sprikle on some of your favorite rub mix. Here I used the Weber garlic and herb.
DSC00698.JPG

Fire up your smoker. I used the Kettle with baskets for this smoke as it's a smaller/quicker cook. Shooting for a 250* temp.
DSC00699.JPG

Put the moinks on the smoker for their indirect journey into appetizer nervana. The smoke flavor profile is provided by a chunk of apple wood.
DSC00700.JPG

Baste them with your favorite BBQ sauce when they hit 160* and the bacon is crispy.
DSC00702.JPG

...and finally plate them when they reach 165*. These took a tad over an hour to smoke.
DSC00703.JPG

There you have it. Another blast from the past. These along with pork shots have definetly proven to be a success at any party.

Thanks for taking a look. Feel free to add any suggestions or improvements to my technique or ingredients.

Chris

They look great
I like the idea of putting cheese and the pepper in the middle.
Will try that the next time i make them

Send them to NH

Poob, I would except they're already eaten. Thanks for the read.

Look good Chris, I have not made them yet but I think I am going to try, Like on that

Charlie, I usually only make them for gatherings - as they're quick and easy, and most people have never seen them before. Thanks for the comment and like appreciate it.

They look great
I like the idea of putting cheese and the pepper in the middle.
Will try that the next time i make them

I like the pepper/cheese combo also. Just make sure you have a way to identify which ones have the pepper. My wife isn't a fan of jalapeno's - so she would kill me if she got one by accident. Thanks for the comment.

Chris

Oh my....yum!

They are really good, and since most folks haven't tried them before - they provide that little bit of WOW factor.
Thanks for the like appreciated it.

You should open a tapas bar Chris,another great appetizer;)

Thanks but no thanks moto. I enjoy smoking as a hobby to much to open up an app bar. Thanks for the like and read appreciate them.

Chris,
Another great recipe! I enjoy your cooking threads, a lot of pictures and good explanation of how to do it!

Point!

Thanks yankee, there are so many good smoking idea's on this site that just get buried and forgotten with all the activity the forum sees. I just like exposing some of the newer folks to smoking alternatives to the norm that's always posted. Appreciate the read and like it means allot.

Looks great Chris. Points for sure!

Thanks Smokin for the like, I forgot how much I enjoyed these little bundles of eatable heaven.

Nice job Chris!

And a great step by step to follow!
Al

Thanks Al for the compliment and like, just trying to help someone out the same way this forum has helped me out over the years.

Chris

I love the Horseradish cheese in there. Not many people use horse radish cheese!

Thanks Tom for the read, I really like Cabot's horseradish cheese with a lite smoke.

I should try this with my ground deer!

I've never tried it with Venison, but I imagine it would taste really good.

Chris

Reactions: Binford 6100
First, your pork shots ruined my life, now it's going to be these.
going to run a batch tomorrow to see how they stack up vs the pork shots

Thanks for the like binford, they are good and a real close second to the pork shot.

Let us know if you like them.

Chris

For sure a awesome post and they are great made them last year at the PA Gathering. Made some with burger and some with sausage.
Warren

Thanks HalfSmoked for the kind words and like. Any ground meat will work.

Chris

Cornman, chinanick, rings, Luvsbbq, redavanlanche, BEV, brent thanks for the likes - appreciate them.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky