Modified my old Charcoal to Propane GOSM again

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by flash, Dec 4, 2011.

1. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Some of you know I converted an old HEAVY GOSM Charcoal smoker to propane using a single burner propane stove. It worked really well but eventually the original stoves Petcock valve gave out on me. That Petcock allowed me to adjust the heat. I was able to hit temps of 325º to 350º with that setup.

Couldn't find just a replacement Petcock, so had to buy a new single burner. Trouble is they seemed to have regulated the propane intake and I never could get my temps much over 285º and that was during the summer months. During the winter, unless I used sand in the water pan instead of water. I struggle to hit 275º and on real cold days, maybe only 225º.

While up in North Carolina, on a trip to visit the MIL, I stopped by Reeves Hardware store in Clayton, Georgia. And I was lucky enough to spot this regulator. Hadn't seen one like this before.

[​IMG]

Around $25 or so. Thought maybe this could solve my problem, so picked it up.

[​IMG]

So instead of the Petcock value, which controlled the flame, in the smoker, I now have the flame control right at the tank.

[​IMG]

This was about the best flame I could get back when I had the Petcock Valve setup.

[​IMG]

And here is the new flame I have to work with. Not that I will run it that high [​IMG]

Shoot, I can grill on that thing now.

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Man that's a huge improvement!

I wonder if you can get those online?

3. flash

Al, I did find this.  It is called the Bayou Classic (M5HPR) Manufactured by Barbour International, PO Box 1839, Brandon, MS 39043

Oops, missed this. Found it in the manual.  www.thebayou.com

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  4. tom c

tom c Smoking Fanatic

Great Work.

5. flash

6. miamirick

miamirick Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

nice flame!   what does that do for propane consumption,   one hour per tank?  [​IMG]   

7. flash

Well if I ran it at that level, probably, but I won't get close to that.

8. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

I just picked this up from Lowe's.[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]   [​IMG]The needle valve lets you crank it down.

9. flash

That one looks a little different than one I posted. Are you saying turning the red dial, lets you dial the heat down?  Where mine allows you to dial it up.

It appears they have quite a few setups if you look at their catalog.  Good deal.

10. michael ark

[​IMG]The regulator is just red the silver handle after the regulator turns it up and down.$20 at Lowe's by the Turkey fryers

11. flash

Ahh, OK. Couldn't see the little silver handle well. That is pretty cool they have so many different types of regulators. My Heat control sits right on top of the regulator itself. Do some chicken quarters right now with it.

12. michael ark

Now that you can crank up the heat try a smoked pizza.It's great.

13. flash

Hmmm, can I use one of those pizza stones??

[​IMG]

14. michael ark

That looks great.[​IMG]  Yes on the pizza stone my mother in law got me on for wedding present years ago.

15. flash

What temps do you do the pizza at and how do you gauge when it is done?

16. michael ark

I get it up to 375f to 400f.It's the only time i don't have a water pan in it.I go commando no probes.Just look at the crust on bottom and do a finger poke on top.I don't use a stone to get more smoke in the crust and it makes it easier to look at the bottom dough.I usually use cherry or pecan.[​IMG]

17. flash

I told my wife about that. Boy did her ears perk up. LOL

18. michael ark

Dude just get a take and bake from Sam's to practices on.that was my learning curve.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  19. flash

Already thought of that. LOL

20. michael ark

Great minds think a like.[​IMG]