Mixing Poolish (For Bread)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I need to use up some flour so i'm using the Trader Joe AP for a 500g poolish.
500f ap
500g warm bottled water
0.4 saf instant yeast

Mix well until all the dry flour is incorporated.

This will ferment overnight then in the AM i will add 21g sea salt and another 500g of TJ AP.

Cover and let ferment at room temp.

20220328_182107.jpg

The poolish (pre ferment) Has done its thing.
20220329_071322.jpg

This morning at 8a.

I'm mixing into the second part of the flour 500g
21 g sea salt
3g yeast. Mix in all the dry, set aside.
20220329_071519.jpg

I have 250g water at 105*
The water i will add to the poolish then add the remaining dry to the poolish.

The dough will get 4 folds inside the 20qt container.
Cover and bulk rise for 2-3 hours or until double in size.
20220329_095622.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
Looks good. A liitle butter, for a sandwich and toast. What temperature and for how long did you bake it at? Did you bake it on a stone?

Rob

Loaf pans at 425 for 40 mins. i dont use stone

Poolish is the way forward, so much more reliable and faster than sour dough starters. I use a very similar recipe for pizza dough but find the salt a little heavy so knock it back to 15g. its amazing seeing the sloppy hydration ratio turn into a pliable dough after some kneading once the gluten forms.

I've done poolish, sourdough, and biga. I now mix my bread dough the night before baking and have zero kneading, just shaping. Kinda like turning the whole recipe into a biga. The gluten develops while I sleep.

720g King Arthur bread or AP flour (prefer bread flour for better texture)
14g salt
3g active dried yeast.
540g warm water (75% hydration)

Next morning: deflate, divide in half, shape, banneton rise, score, then bake. Sooo easy and flavorful. Got a batch going right now.

Reactions: Smokensalt
I tried a no knead sourdough a few months back and was initially so sceptical but worked well. With the poolish working so well doubt I'll go back to sourdough and will try that next.

Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky