Mixed Ferment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I should have the peppers that I won either today or tomorrow.
And/or
I have the culture starter that I can add too.
Chile You need to fill in the air space with a diced pepper,I for got to mention you will have to get the weight out from the bottom.I would drain it thru a sieve saving every thing! Starter cultures will not fill in the voids. JMHO
Richie

Chile You need to fill in the air space with a diced pepper,I for got to mention you will have to get the weight out from the bottom.I would drain it thru a sieve saving every thing! Starter cultures will not fill in the voids. JMHO
Richie
Richie, what do you mean fill in the air space and/or voids?

Once you remove that weight in your jar, it will leave an air space void. I believe he means you should fill that void with the diced peppers

All these chile ferments leave at least an inch or two of air space for expansion, avoids those pesky blowouts.
So that doesn't make sense to me.
John your air lock will release the pressure,think about it you are not trapping the gasses with the air lock in place,it is a release valve nothing more.No air going back in as it expels the gas.
He explained it right pack the jar with as much as you can.Here is my jar the weight is almost visible
100_0065.JPG
My peppers were short of being minced.
You can make a sauce with what you have now if you are afraid of it going bad,I dumped 2 half gallon jars my first time not being familiar with Kahn yeast.
Richie

Kham is the white stuff in the picture to the right and on top of the second pic. Its safe, but sometimes throws an off flavor. Its naturally present, but needs oxygen to reproduce. Usually you see it start at the surface and its generally an indication of an unhealthy fermentation. It might look like mold, but its safe as long as it isn't fuzzy. It usually happens from too much oxygen.
20191108_212023.jpg iijb4le0g8x21.jpg

Okay Thank you
Richie
Well Richie, you got me off my ass and into the kitchen with those chiles.
I basically started all over, but I'm much happier with my jars now.

The first mash got strained, the brine saved and the Morados, Scotch Bonnet Aliens and Ajis got minced and added to it. I added back some of the original brine, placed a wad of cheesecloth over it and tamped it down to remove air bubbles, placed a weight on it and topped it off with distilled water that had a generous dose of Cutting Edge Culture Starter.

All the PeppaPeach, Bhut Yellow X, Bahamian Beast Peach and Finger Hot Yellow got minced into mash and put into a separate pint jar.
They then got the same treatment as the first.

GUzeiEM.jpg

Last edited:
This batch is about 62°f and my weight failed as well so I removed it. It smells great a little kahm removed but difficult, being sparse. Not bubbling so I did cut plastic circles from chopping mats from the dollar tree to the inside diameter of the jar and put the shot glass weight ontop to submerge and see if bubbles form and to easily remove kahm if it forms ontop. Punched a hole in the center of the circle to pull out with a hook since the plastic has to be slightly folded to get into the jar.
20191113_103419.jpg

My airlock in post 54 was not an airtight seal to the lid so the float never lifted tlll I sealed it on the outside. I removed kahm yeast 3xs due to this and used a plastic disk and a shot glass to keep the peppers under brine. Since no bubbles, I put the whole thing in the fridge. It's been a week and the brine looks like crap but it smells great. Should I toss with this color?
20191127_085631.jpg

I did this new mash in a mason jar with a permanently sealed airlock to the lid and a Tsp of brine from the first before it turned dark. I weighed down the mash with a plastic disc and shot glass as well from the get go and it was fermenting within 24 hours so hopefully no Kahm and still going crazy for a week. I'm not going to open this unless kahm forms but shouldn't with the air gap filled with CO2 but what to do with the batch in post 54?
20191122_103812.jpg

Well Richie, you got me off my ass and into the kitchen with those chiles.
I basically started all over, but I'm much happier with my jars now.

The first mash got strained, the brine saved and the Morados, Scotch Bonnet Aliens and Ajis got minced and added to it. I added back some of the original brine, placed a wad of cheesecloth over it and tamped it down to remove air bubbles, placed a weight on it and topped it off with distilled water that had a generous dose of Cutting Edge Culture Starter.

All the PeppaPeach, Bhut Yellow X, Bahamian Beast Peach and Finger Hot Yellow got minced into mash and put into a separate pint jar.
They then got the same treatment as the first.

GUzeiEM.jpg
John Hope all is well,how is the ferment doing 2 months old now?
My second jar of the Habenero is 4 months old.
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky