Mix Venison with Beef?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Good morning

I found a few pounds of ground venison buried in the freezer. It’s a couple of years old.

Would there be any concerns or issues of me mixing the ground venison with some ground beef (likely 90/10) for making some ground meat jerky sticks/strips?

Ive done ground venison and ground beef on their own, but never combined. My thought is that if the venison is pretty freezer burnt, the ground beef may help offset.

I use prepackaged jerky seasoning and cure, and then smoke.

Thanks!

I don't think it's a safety concern . I made the mistake one time . Ruined 5 lbs of summer sausage .
You can't offset the bad taste in my opinion .

I used to mix my sausage with Beef & Venison all the time.
And My favorite Burger is 50% Deer, 25% Beef, and 25% Pork.
I can't help with freezer burn, but I agree with Chopsaw in that I don't think it's a Safety Concern.

Bear

Reactions: thirdeye
I like a beef, pork and venison mix when I make bologna.

If the venison was well packed it should have minimal freezer burn.
If butcher paper wrapped, I would toss it.
If bagged and hog ringed, I might discard the first 1/2" or so.
I don't like any extra meat mixed in my ground venison jerky. I found it is very hard to mix it well enough to get a complete taste blend.
Ground meat jerky should be zero fat

No Safety issue if the Venison was properly handled before it was frozen. Nothing will Fix bad tasting meat. Only good for Dogs and Chickens...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky