Mistaking made trimming the brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shawnc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 4, 2015
Tried cooking risk it again tonight and made a mistake and trimmed too much of the fat cap off so it did not protect the meat as much as I was hoping and got a little bit too hard and crusty on the bottom. Tasted great and did not break when I did a bend test on a slice. Also removed a little to much of the juice from the cook when I rested the meat.
Looks likeu Just to much heat on the bottom due to removing to much fat and the cook would have been better. Any have this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_174604077.jpg
    IMG_20200725_174604077.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20200725_174814158.jpg
    IMG_20200725_174814158.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 109
Looks good from here. The smoke ring is very nice and it looks juicy. It's suggested to leave 1/4" of fat when trimming Brisket. I often worry if I trim too much fat it will end up dry. Yours doesn't look dry at all.

Mike

Looks good to me. Meat placement and Temp control is way more important than how much you trim. Lots of guy trim brisket Naked to get more Rub and Bark on the meat. They come away with spectacular results...JJ

Reactions: MJB05615
I think you did a fine job!
When I do a brisket without any fat on it I do it in a pan, with broth.
But your brisket looks excellent to me!
You also didn’t say what smoker you have. Some work better with the fat on the bottom, if you left any on, and some are better off with the fat on the top.
Al

PB pro 1100.

Last time left more fat and did not have the issue.

Appreciate everyones comments

as others said... looks good from here...

another suggestion would be... if you have another rack above the brisket, lay the fat that you trimmed off on that rack above the meat... Then when fat renders down it drips on the meat and that helps keep it moist as well ... and gives it extra flavor as well...

Looks Mighty Tasty, Shawn!!
I would recommend leaving more fat on---1/4" to 1/2".
Then make some Crosshatch cuts through the fat, into the meat, so the seasonings & smoke can get into the Red Meat. I do it on Brisket, Butts, Chuckies, and Prime Rib!!
Like.

Bear

So, you trimmed the entire outside face too close, not just in one area? When trimming fat save all the larger pieces, and if you have a fine grate like this one you can lay out fat and set the brisket atop that. If you cut too deep in one place and expose meat, stop and feel the fat in all 4 directions. Pick the heaviest area and sort of fillet a layer of fat toward the exposed area, then fold it over to cover.

c0iHj4E.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky