Minimum temperature for cold smoking bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'd have to say...... above freezin,

Everyone has there opinion, but between 50° and 90°f will do it.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have finally got things together and have the ability to smoke from about 40 degrees which is the temp out side on up to temps way to hot for cold smoking.

Oh, and welcome to the forum

When you get a minute tell us a bit about yourself.  Lots of nice people on the forum

welcome1.gif
   Glad to have you with us!

icon_cool.gif

As low as you can and still make smoke. For me it's about 75° the way that I do it. Like Dan said anything above freezing will do.

Down here in Florida the hard part is keeping the temp down, especially in the summer. If I have my smoker in the sun in August it will read 100-110 inside temp just sitting there. 

Technically, "Cold Smoking" is smoking at temps under 100°

For cheese, this is very important, because some cheese starts to get soft and melt.

For bacon, I try to keep the temps at 100° or under, but no harm done if you go a little over.

My best bacon was smoked at 12 hours with Apple @ 70°-80°

The cooler the temps, the denser the smoke.

Todd

I ended up smoking it for 12 hours at about 80 degrees. I could have gone down to around 35, which was the outside temp. The reason I was concerned about the temp being to cool is that in the past my system seems to generate a lot of condensation and the bacon has a wet feeling even though I dried it thoroughly to let the pellicle form. Is the kind of wet /moist feeling normal after clod smoking bacon? Attached are pictures of 3 out of the 12 I smoked last night.
5f172651_photo1.jpg

Looks Great from here!!!!   Real Nice Color!!!

That moist feeling is why I like a little heat with my Bacon---Not much---Just a little.

Bear

I did a number of bacon throughout last winter and there were times that we had bacon hanging at below freezing temps. Using the ama-z-n smoker box, there was just enough heat from that to keep the bacon from freezing overnight...I believe this prolongs the smoke process though as it took 48+hours to get a good color change, but that was how I judged when it was done, the color change...

Great looking bacon!!

Well, we are all outa money this Christmas so we each are making something to give to each other.  My sister is the bread maker, me pasta and meat, mom ain't talkin'.  LOL  Anyway, I have what i need to make BBB, High Mountain Seasoning is coming in the mail. 

Question 1:  from what I have been reading: what is pellicle?  I tend to love my famly most of the time and don't want to keill em!

Question 2: I will be using an MES in about 40 degree weather. Plan on setting it at 70 degrees.  Is there a general time frame for smoking. Do you do it by pounds of meat?  Color?? smell (I hope not)??  Is it the longer you smoke the smokier?  What is an average time for min to mod smoked meat.  Will be using a AMNz

Question 3: What types of pellets do you guys use for bacon?  Maple, pecan, apple,  etc

Thanks for any feedback.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky