Mini Butt & Cabbage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bass

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Shamong, NJ
So its August 1. Jerry's Birthday, Rock On !

So I've got some tunes on and and I'm smoking a small bone in pork butt (about 4 lbs). following Jeff Phillps' recent suggestion of using BBQ sauce for the wetting agent to help the rub stick and have the butt fat cap down in a baking dish.
IMG_7133_heic-L.jpg
IMG_7140_heic-L.jpg

Just after putting the butt on the WSM I set to work on the cabbage. Cored it, cut up 1/2 a wheel of Gouda and stuffed the innards with the Gouda, some butter, some of
Jeff's original rub and some garlic and onion seasoning 'cause they were handy and thought it would go good with the cabbage.

IMG_7135_heic-L.jpg
IMG_7136_heic-L.jpg IMG_7137_heic-L.jpg

Now for the good part, because everything is better with bacon.
IMG_7138_heic-L.jpg IMG_7141_heic-L.jpg

To Be Continued.....

• Love
Reactions: chopsaw and kruizer
Looks good. Usually put tin foil on top. Never tried bacon stuffed plug

Man I swear I posted in this thread earlier lol. That cabbage is awesome idea. I’m dying to see the finish.

Reactions: bass
All in all turned out pretty good. The pork roast was on the WSM for about 6 hours at 225 from 9 to 3; she did the stall for about 2 hrs, stubbornly clinging to 160 deg. I was getting hungry so I bumped the cooker to 250, threw a few more coals in and went and mowed the lawn. I use standard kingsford in the blue & white bag. Its a constant fuel that burns predictably, and by keeping that constant I find that things are easier to manage. This smoke I used hickory chunks, although my go to is typically apple. I thought the cabbage might benefit from the stronger hickory flavor. Cabbage didnt go on until around 11 am and was on the smoker about 5 hours.

By 5:40 or so we were up to nearly 180 so I pulled it off the grill for a rest time while I cooked the corn.

Pork turned out very good. The cabbage was a worthy experiment, but I'll probably change up the seasonings next time. Maybe core it out a bit more, some vidalia onion, fresh black pepper and possibly a different cheese.

Here's some completed pix. Still working on how to upload a flavor. :)

Here's the cabbage 2 hours in.
IMG_7142_heic-L.jpg

Another of the cabbage. I let it rest on the counter about 15 minutes so the cheese wouldn't make a mess when I cut it.

IMG_7146_heic-L.jpg

Here's the cabbage plated on a platter for serving.
IMG_7148_heic-L.jpg

The pork was tender, juicy and delicious. I definitely like placing the pork in a tray rather than on the grates.

IMG_7147_heic-L.jpg
IMG_7149_heic-L.jpg

Dig in !

Man I swear I posted in this thread earlier lol. That cabbage is awesome idea. I’m dying to see the finish.
I have to give props on the cabbage idea to one of my co-workers, Kris. but I'm gonna tweak it a little next time.

Nice work . Had a buddy that did stuffed cabbage like that . Good stuff .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky