Min grate distance from heat.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lookwow

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Menasha WI
what is the min distance you want the first grate to be away from the heat? And if you can say if thats from the top or bottom of the basket.

What type of smoker ? The temp. will be different at all elavations......That is why is best to have different levels and use many thermometers to check what you have....Its all part of getting to know your smoker.

24" from the bottom of the charcoal grate to the first cooking grate. If you have a dome lid and want to add an upper grate, do that one as high as possible, it should leave you with 8" between the top and bottom grate. The bottom of the charcoal grate should be 2" above the bottom of the drum (measured from the inside) and the center of you intakes should be 1" from the bottom of the drum (measured from the outside)

Last edited:
Thanks Coffie. So question. If i dont have a domed lid will it work to have to grates then or not really?

Thanks Coffie. So question. If i dont have a domed lid will it work to have to grates then or not really?

No you can have two grates if you don't have a dome lid. I have a dome lid but it doesn't fit well yet so I never use it. I just use the lid the drum came with and I'm smoking with two racks all the time. You just can't get big cuts of meat on the top rack. I put my bigger cuts of meat on the bottom rack (brisket, butts, etc.) then I will put my ribs on the top rack all at the same time. If you are doing a turkey or something that is tall like that then you aren't able to use the top rack on that smoke but if you had a dome lid then you could put a turkey on the bottom and another big cut of meat on the top.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky