Milk house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jigurufunk

Original poster
Oct 7, 2017
I have a cement block milk house with a concrete floor. It is 14' deep and 12' wide with a pitched roof. I have wanted to do something with it since I bought the property, and I have decided to try to make a smoke house out of it. Only problem is I dont know where to look for ideas and info on weather I have to keep the fire outside or inside. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

"old time" smoke houses that size, had a fire smoldering on the floor... Sawdust was used so as to not flare up into flame... I have seen 5 gal. steel buckets used for a "fire pit"... A sheet of steel over the top of the bucket was used to reduce oxygen supply and keep the fire smoldering... it was a "slide gate" of sorts...
My friend had a fire box of steel that was on steel wheels... He rolled it in and out of his smoke house, to tend the fire, through a hole in the side wall that opened and closed... same deal using a slide gate on the top for fire control... I believe he had "tracks" for it to roll on, made of channel iron...

I suspect the ambient temperatures and airflow would maybe make a difference in your choice. If you've got enough slope for an external firebox it would allow smoking at somewhat warmer temperatures. You could always move the fire indoors if you were concerned about the product freezing.

14x12 is pretty big and depending on how much product you are working with at a time you should have room in a corner for a work table or shelf, salt/cure bin etc.

Please take pics and keep us informed.

Lance

I suspect the ambient temperatures and airflow would maybe make a difference in your choice. If you've got enough slope for an external firebox it would allow smoking at somewhat warmer temperatures. You could always move the fire indoors if you were concerned about the product freezing.

14x12 is pretty big and depending on how much product you are working with at a time you should have room in a corner for a work table or shelf, salt/cure bin etc.

Please take pics and keep us informed.

Lance

Thanks both of you for the information, I hope to be able to post some pics and stories of successful attempts at curing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky