Michigan newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

4wdnarchery

Original poster
Hi all

Nino from south east michigan.

I am fairly new to smoking.  Bought a cheap barrel charcoal bar b que with side box from walmart ($150) a couple years back.  Did about a dozen half chickens, and a couple slabs of ribs on it.  The amount of time I had to spend monitoring it probably affects  how much I have not used it since. This leeds  me to look for an electric smoker.

I usually harvest 2 or 3 white tail deer per year.  We grill alot of burgers, make alot of chilli, and sloppy joes.  My entire family loves it.

I'd like to expand into making jerky, and sausage/salami sticks.

I also will be raising and harvesting my own chickens this year, as well as my own honey (which I hope to be able to use in smoking recipes).  I would like a simple, quick and quality way to prepare these foods.  If all goes well I may raise a pig next year.  mmmmm.

I am seriously contemplating a smokin tex 1460 after a couple days of exhaustive internet research.  Wanted to spend maximum $400 when I started, and want something large enough to cook for large groups.  I have big family parties. 

Looking at reviews for the cheaper smokers I figured I would outgrow them quick and end up spending initially $300 plus the $800 on the ultimate smoker I really wanted in the first place.  Might as well spend it right away, and hit the ground running.  That being said I can't hardly afford the size cookshack I feel I need.  The size price, and quantity of quality reviews for the smokin tex make it seem like the perfect match for me.  I'm even considering purchasing an extra thermostat, and element to make sure I never get stuck. ( a somewhat experienced friend suggested I not go with electric because of this possible malfunction)

Hope I didn't include to much info for the roll call section, but I will surely be posting questions in other areas soon.

Glad you joined us Nino, :welcome1: from North Dakota!
The Smokin Tex are good quality smokers, probably can't go wrong. One I would suggest looking at to consider before deciding is the Smokin-It brand.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Thanks everyone, and thanks MossyMO.  I have scoured the Smokin It website, and I love what I am seeing.  Lots of bang for the buck, and it seems like customer service is priority ONE.  Also judging by all the reviews I have read, I do not think I will have any regrets with the #3.

Thats why I joined this forum...

Welcome to the forums! We are happy that you joined the group. You'll find plenty of information here with over 1 million posts! Make the search bar at the top of the page your new friend. Or, simply post your question in the area that applies. You'll get plenty of helpful advice. Also consider enrolling in Jeff's 5 day E course. It gives you lots of great information to start you off on the right foot! Best of all is that it's free! Again, WELCOME Brian

Welcome Nino! Glad to have another MI member (and hunter) here. Like Stan says, be sure to get over to the MI members group and join up!

I've done whole muscle venison jerky and will be doing snack stix soon so hit me up if you got any specific questions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky