Meyers sausage Elgin, TX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Southside Market is caddy-corner from Meyer's in Elgin and I greatly prefer their sausage.
I know this is an old thread and this is a little off topic, however,

Locally, I have heard nothing but bad about Southside, but on a lazy whim today, I tried the drive through at the Southside in Bastrop - the drive through opens earlier than their restaurant or any other brisket joint around and I just had the hankerin for some brisket, so I gave it a try. I ordered some "moist brisket" and saw a "pork steak" on their menu so I thought I would try it.

The order taker was super nice but the window person had the "life sucks because I have to work" attitude. Both items were packaged superbly and nothing leaked through the wrappings for the drive home.

The brisket was superbly tender and juicy - I'm not going to say it tastes as good as one of my spit roasted prime chuck shoulders, but it was better than acceptable, not overly salty, smelled wonderful, and I have had much worse.

The pork steak was simply fantastic - I never tasted any barbecued pork that good, including any pork I have ever barbecued. It was really great and I will be going back for more.

I am looking forward to trying their sausage.

Strange what you find out when you're feeling lazy!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I know this is an old thread and this is a little off topic, however,

Locally, I have heard nothing but bad about Southside, but on a lazy whim today, I tried the drive through at the Southside in Bastrop - the drive through opens earlier than their restaurant or any other brisket joint around and I just had the hankerin for some brisket, so I gave it a try. I ordered some "moist brisket" and saw a "pork steak" on their menu so I thought I would try it.

The order taker was super nice but the window person had the "life sucks because I have to work" attitude. Both items were packaged superbly and nothing leaked through the wrappings for the drive home.

The brisket was superbly tender and juicy - I'm not going to say it tastes as good as one of my spit roasted prime chuck shoulders, but it was better than acceptable, not overly salty, smelled wonderful, and I have had much worse.

The pork steak was simply fantastic - I never tasted any barbecued pork that good, including any pork I have ever barbecued. It was really great and I will be going back for more.

I am looking forward to trying their sausage.

Strange what you find out when you're feeling lazy!

I ate there for years before I finally tried one of their pork steaks. Wow, I was really missing out. It's always on my ticket now when I visit.

Sad to hear that their rep is not good any more. I never had a bad piece of meat there but it has been a while. Things change.

I tried Southside again this morning - the pork steak - just to see if it was an anomaly...

They surely do know how to barbecue a pork steak - it was excellent! I am not even sure I want to learn how to cook one myself because it is just too easy to go get one.

Reactions: kelbro
I ate there for years before I finally tried one of their pork steaks. Wow, I was really missing out. It's always on my ticket now when I visit.

Sad to hear that their rep is not good any more. I never had a bad piece of meat there but it has been a while. Things change.
I do not think their rep is bad - I think that too many people are just filled with irrational bias and refuse-to-think outside their narrow imaginary worlds these days. 😝

Last edited:
Reactions: kelbro
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky