Mexican Ranchero Skirt Steak Roll-Ups (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Continuing my recent theme of posting ugly meals, I thought I'd toss this one out there to keep the trend going. I'm not posting it just because it's ugly, it happened to come out extremely well. As y'all know we love pretty much anything Mexican or Tex Mex and that I tend to mix things up once in a while. This is one of those :emoji_wink:

Start out slicing up some onions and jalapenos.
001.jpg

Get the ranchero sauce going. The veggies are not for this. They get used later.
002.jpg

The skirt steak.
003.jpg

Ranchero sauce after it's cooked down some.
004.jpg

Cut the skirt steak in half, pound it out with the meat mallet, and sprinkle with some of my Mexican spice mix.
005.jpg

Ya just gotta have some cheese.
006.jpg

Now for the previously mentioned onions and jalapenos.
007.jpg

Guess what? More cheese!!
008.jpg

Roll 'em up, tie 'em off, then a nice sprinkle of my Chimayo Chili spice blend.
009.jpg

Onto the grill.
010.jpg

Getting there. I knew there was a reason for all that cheese :emoji_laughing:
011.jpg

Done and into the house. You don't need to tell me what they look like. My imagination works just fine :emoji_wink:
012.jpg

Top with the Ranchero sauce and serve with Mexican rice. The sauce was really thick but I kinda like it that way versus being somewhat runny. At least it stays put and you don't need to chase it all over the plate.
013.jpg

And of course...you guessed it...the close up shot.
014.jpg

This looks like something out of "Tales From The Crypt" but it was fantastic!! Some legit Mexican flavors going on, a nice layering of the flavors, and nice complexity from all of the different spices. None of the spices were overpowering, they just all worked in tandem to create a really legit flavor profile. Simple, basic, to-the-point, but a truly good meal. I'll be looking forward to the next installment of these. This is another where I thought Tracy would have leftovers for lunch the next day but that didn't happen. There was nothing left.

Oh well, gotta run. Cold, overcast, drizzling, and just plain yucky with the weather supposed to get really bad tomorrow. Gonna go make some spicy Italian sausage red sauce for pasta this evening. That will hopefully warm things up a bit. Take care and see y'all soon.

Robert

Brother, Even your "ugly" meals are gorgeous. I can see why there werent any leftovers!
Jim

That's an awesome looking plate if food Robert! I feel the uglier the better is the best comfort food!

Ryan

What a mess but has all the ingredients for a great tasting meal. I bet that sauce was legit. I spent the day time aligning my subwoofer's than headed out to put a heater on lower unit of boat just in case has water in it. Got out there and left the heater at home. At least it right down from the river.

That meal sounds and looks great Robert. Nicely done

point for sure
Chris

Looks real good and seems keto friendly.

I was thinking about ordering some CP skirt steaks but was surprised to see you hammer/tenderized them? I haven't tried anything CP yet but from what I have read I thought it was noteworthy for being naturally very tender?

If I am very careful and lucky I can usually select a fairly decent skirt steak in HEB (I love skirt steaks) and marinated and seared hot and fast to a nice rare/medium rare they are usually good - not super tender of course - but very good tasting with an acceptable chew (to me). Could never figure out how the former Nancy's in Bastrop could get their fajita steak on their buffet so tender - probably Adolph's meat tenderizer or similar...

Curious, do you find it necessary to always tenderize CP skirt steaks?

wow, looks delicious, nice hearty meal!! nothing is ever an ugly cook if it tastes good!!
Thanks so much. I know ugly can taste good but when posting here, I like for things to at least look decent :emoji_wink:

Robert

Brother, Even your "ugly" meals are gorgeous. I can see why there werent any leftovers!
Thanks so much Jim. I like to get a lot of color and vibrancy in meals, especially Mexican food and I guess that somewhat makes up for the rest of it being ugly.

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks so much Jim. I like to get a lot of color and vibrancy in meals, especially Mexican food and I guess that somewhat makes up for the rest of it being ugly.

Robert
You had me researching that sauce yesterday. Got my mind spinning on how to use it.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky