Metal Store Rack Coating?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rosewishes

Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Can anyone shed some light?

I'm not up to smoker yet - plan to get it started next year.

Past 4 or 5 years, I've made my bar-b-q on a stacked brick/oven rack construction. I use only wood for fuel. It is about as tall as I am - currently having 7 racks. The ones I cook the meat on are the lower oven racks. The higher level ones are the store racks - I set pots of food on them, being leery because they seem to have some sort of coating on them which smokes. I've also noticed they warp.

Any info on these?

Eventually, I really want it all... Going to rebuild - put the racks on chains with a pulley, so I can raise & lower according to the fire. Dig down, glass bottles with lids (maybe a hole in the lids) & sand. Add a side chamber for smoking, a stone for making pizza/bread. Mud on the sides to help hold the heat.

Hello Rose.  Here is my opinion for what it is worth.  Others may have different advice.  This is only my opinion.  If I don't know what the coating is for an absolute certainty I will not use it.  The slightest risk of poisoning to my family and friends is just not an option for me.  I welded may years and have had mild galvanised poisoning and it isn't very nice.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky