Mesquite Smoked Meaty Beef Back Ribs (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
By Saturday I was pretty well turkeyed out and needed a change. Decided to do a rack of meaty beef back ribs on the T-Pit and use mesquite. I've become quite a fan of using that wood for smoking. Maybe it just took some time to adjust because in the beginning of my smoking "career" I stuck with milder flavored wood. Now the milder stuff is only used for smoking cheese, pork and stuff like that. The ribs come from CPB in packs of two slabs per pack. That was more than we needed so only did one rack and put the other one back in the freezer. Weight of the two slabs was just shy of 10# so this rack was probably in the 5# range.

Ribs seasoned up with Jeff's Texas rub
005.jpg

Smoker running at 235. Here we are at the 6 hour mark
006.jpg

Did a small batch of the bacon, cheddar, jalapeno corn bread. We love this stuff!!
007.jpg

8 hours after starting, the ribs are done
008.jpg

Sliced. Oh boy!! So juicy and sliced like warm butter. I think we are in for a treat
010.jpg

Corn bread done. Got a little dark on top but was perfectly cooked. The toothpick does not lie :emoji_wink:
011.jpg

Made up a batch of bacon cheddar ranch pasta salad. New flavor profile and was really good!!
012.jpg

Plated. I put some of Jeff's sauce on the plate but didn't touch it. No offense Jeff but the ribs just didn't need anything else
015.jpg

A simple meal but so comforting on a cold, windy, rainy day. The ribs were money. Possibly the best I've done and Tracy concurred. Moist, tender, juicy ,and the flavor was fantastic, especially the bark. Interesting that for years she preferred pork ribs over pretty much everything else but that has changed. It's only been fairly recently that I started doing beef ribs and they have become the favorite by far. The corn bread was done in the 360 air fryer at 375 on the bake setting. Typically I cook it on the grill outside but it was just too nasty out there and it wasn't worth firing up the big oven. Next time I'll do it at 350 and place the rack lower in the oven. I think that would help the color but the cornbread was still fantastic. Pasta salad was mixed with a little mayo, sour cream, celery, onions, cheddar cheese, bacon crumbles, and dry Ranch Dressing seasoning. First time doing it this way but it was super good. I'll be doing that again, especially next time we have guests over. Makes a really tasty twist on pasta salad. We managed to eat all of the cornbread, all but one of the ribs, and put a pretty good dent in the pasta salad. Overall a very good meal and a nice break from the Thanksgiving leftovers.

Thanks for dropping in everybody and we will see you again real soon. I just wrapped up a bacon experiment that came out extremely well which I'll be posting sometime real soon.

Robert

200.gif

Those ribs looks top notch Robert. Straight cash homie. Whole plate looks great. Always good to change things up after turkey leftovers for a few days. Nice job man!

Reactions: pa42phigh
Beef ribs are at the top of my food chain Robert, right there with prime rib, huge Like! I'd sit down and demolish that plate in a heartbeat, another over-the-fence-out-of-the-park masterpiece! RAY

Looks fantastic Robert! You know I love those CPB extra meaty back ribs. I think I have 4 left in the freezer.

Very nice! I love Mesquite on Beef, and ate many pounds of Mesquite Smoked Ribs, when I was attending school in Oklahoma. I took Bev to my favorite restaurant on one of her visits, and she could not even stand the Mesquite smell in the dining room! Interesting how Mesquite has a wide ranging effect on people. Seems to be similar to peoples reaction to Cilantro...Love it or Hate it!...JJ

Nicely done Robert! That's a meal I wouldn't be late to! I like the idea of the ranch pasta salad.

Awesome meal for sure but I think I would have to back off the mesquite. Have not acquired the taste for it although could be how it was done but it was way to strong. That's all you could taste. Love Mr. Corn Bread though and the salad looks great.

Warren

Looks Great, Robert!!
Shame they scraped the meat out from between the bones before they sold them!!
Don't know why these places have to be so greedy.
Nice Job Though!
Like.

Bear

Very nice! I love Mesquite on Beef, and ate many pounds of Mesquite Smoked Ribs, when I was attending school in Oklahoma. I took Bev to my favorite restaurant on one of her visits, and she could not even stand the Mesquite smell in the dining room! Interesting how Mesquite has a wide ranging effect on people. Seems to be similar to peoples reaction to Cilantro...Love it or Hate it!...JJ
I like mesquite in moderation on beef and even chicken. My wife won’t eat anything with the slightest hint of mesquite either.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Nice beefy ribs Robert! They look like they have a good amount of meat on them! Much more than anything I can buy around here.

Pasta salad and jalapeño cornbread for sides!? Sign me up.

All looks great Robert. Those Ribs are perfect, and the cornbread really stands out. The Beef Ribs I see in stores here are not very meaty, and very expensive. If I can find some nice ones like those you have, I'd try this. Thanks for sharing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky