Mesquite Smoked Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokey tex

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Have any of you ever smoked a brisket primarily with mesquite?  I tried this a couple of days ago and wasn't just thrilled.  It had more of a rustic west Texas flavor which I really like on burgers and sometimes on steak.  But for brisket, it seemed to mask the flavor of the meat a little more than I prefer.  It was still good, but I'm thinking I would have like something like hickory better.  Just wondering if any of you have tried this and, if so, how it all turned out.

Makes sense as, with grilling, the smoke exposure is considerably less.  I like it with burgers or steak when I am shooting for a more rustic west Texas flavor.  But it's really easy to overdo otherwise.  Thanks for your input!

I like Pecan, Apple or cherry.  I want to try maple...

Your right, Mesquite is strong. 

Better on a shorter smoke.  Briskets are too long for it.  I have had some that were jet black and had bitter after tones

i like mesquite ok but you can not restrict the smoke dirty smoke will give it a bite but clean smoke will give a nice bold smoke

Last edited:
I prefer a mix of pecan and just a touch of cherry for brisket. It’s great smoke flavor without overwhelming the natural taste of the meat. I use about a 90/10 mix of the wood.

George

Newbie commenting. Mesquite works fine, but it cannot be your primary smoke producer, it will certainly overpower if you're not careful. I grew up out in west Texas and mesquite is what we always used and it does take time to learn it. But a well smoked brisket using mesquite is dang good...

Mesquite is good for grilling to strong for low and slow. Hickory is my go to cologne er wood of choice.

Newbie commenting. Mesquite works fine, but it cannot be your primary smoke producer, it will certainly overpower if you're not careful. I grew up out in west Texas and mesquite is what we always used and it does take time to learn it. But a well smoked brisket using mesquite is dang good...
Yes sir ..

We use mesquite A LOT for everything in the smoker...BUT, you can't use it like you do other woods. Use half as much as you would hickory, oak, apple, etc. And do not load meat until you have TBS or clear smoke. We love the rustic flavor of mesquite, but too much is overpowering.

Reactions: Weaverspitbbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky