MES40 Vent Question

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by callmetut, Jun 10, 2011.

1. I'm getting ready to start my first smoke in my MES 40 and wanted a bit of advise on where the vent opening should be ...? I was going to start with it half open (or half closed ... if your a water half empty type person)... then after hitting temp on the meat and wraping it, close off the vent completely. This is a boston butt.

2. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

When smoking exhaust vent needs to be fully open!!

Only time i close mine is to preheat and for storage.

3. I like to leave a little over 1/2 way open.   I am using an AMNS so it's not a real heavy smoke. 

4. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Same-Same Me!!

Except when only using the AMNS (cheese)--Then I close it half way.

Bear

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Agree with the above, Bear & eman.

6. Thanks for the quick replies... I'll most likely get the AMNS in a few weeks, vent is fully open and I'm going to guess if I keep poking the butt with a sharp pointy stick it isn't going to make it move any faster... maybe the wife needs to take note of that...lol

I am using soaked wood chips (not chunks) for this first burn (smoke), about how often should I need to add more(?) or is it a just watch the thin smoke tapper off?

Tut

7. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

On the poking your butt with a pointy stick!---->[​IMG]-----------But it works on cows.

I never soak chips or chunks, if I use them, and IMO, it is watch smoke to see when to add more.

Bear

8. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl