Mes40 rewire. Hot back.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hooked on smoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern California.
I recently did the no back removal rewire. Went as smooth a silk by the way. Thanks for the share.
I also replaced the element connectors with hi-temp connectors. I never noticed or payed attention until now that the back of the unit gest very hot. Im guessing this is normal as the heating element is behind that thin cover. Should I re heat shrink the connections with new wrap? I currently just slid the old ones over the connectors.
Pardon my stupid but I'm not much of a electrical nor heating expert by any means.
Thanks for all the support you all offer up here. It is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: JLeonard
I put new shrink wrap on when I put the new connectors on but I don't think it was absolutely necessary. In any case, the lack of shrink wrap on the spade connectors wouldn't have any affect on the temperature of the smoker back panel. I've never felt back there but I suspect it is normal for it to be a bit hot.

I recently did the no back removal rewire. Went as smooth a silk by the way. Thanks for the share.
I also replaced the element connectors with hi-temp connectors. I never noticed or payed attention until now that the back of the unit gest very hot. Im guessing this is normal as the heating element is behind that thin cover. Should I re heat shrink the connections with new wrap? I currently just slid the old ones over the connectors.
Pardon my stupid but I'm not much of a electrical nor heating expert by any means.
Thanks for all the support you all offer up here. It is greatly appreciated.

Nice, welcome to the PID world!
I think it just gets hot, not much u can do.
You can put new shrink wrap but understand that most of that stuff is rated at like 300F so you will likely need to get a slightly higher limit one if you can because I imagine the element may get that hot on full blast but not sure.
If using the same existing stuff you should be ok.

I put new shrink wrap on when I put the new connectors on but I don't think it was absolutely necessary. In any case, the lack of shrink wrap on the spade connectors wouldn't have any affect on the temperature of the smoker back panel. I've never felt back there but I suspect it is normal for it to be a b
it hot.
I appreciate the feedback. The hot back. It's just something that I never realized was possible until I fiddled with it.
Safety first.
Thanks.

Nice, welcome to the PID world!
I think it just gets hot, not much u can do.
You can put new shrink wrap but understand that most of that stuff is rated at like 300F so you will likely need to get a slightly higher limit one if you can because I imagine the element may get that hot on full blast but not sure.
If using the same existing stuff you should be ok.
I'm liking the PID World for sure! Should have done the change sooner. Thank you for the info. You pretty much explained what I expected to hear.
Respectfully,
Hooked on Smoke

Reactions: tallbm
I never noticed or payed attention until now that the back of the unit gets very hot.
I'll agree that's it " normal " and not something to worry about , as long as you run the smoker at the intended temps of 275 or less .
However , I noticed the other day that the top of mine was pretty warm . My thought was " don't remember that getting so hot " I'm thinking that the constant temp with a PID ( no more long off cycle ) makes this more obvious .

Reactions: hooked on smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky