MES temp controller off?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lostfish

Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
Hello, I used my MES for the first time tonight, and had a temperature question. I programmed the temp for 210 degrees, and when it said it was ready, I popped my Taylor Weekend Warrior probe inside, and it read about 40 degrees hotter than what the MES was reading? MES programmed for 210 and the Taylor reading almost 250? Does anyone have a theory about why this might happen? I'm fairly new to smoking and this is my first time using the MES...any input helps!

Thanks!

First, never trust the thermometer that comes with a smoker.
smile.gif
Second, did you test the Taylor to make sure it was accurate? Third, where did you put the Taylor in the smoker? Towards the top, bottom or middle? I don't have a MES so I'm not sure where the temp sensor is located in it. I'm sure someone will be along soon who has a MES and can answer that question.

I am not familiar with your probe. Is it digital? Where did you have it placed? Did you calibrate your Taylor? If not test it with a glass of ice water as it is more accurate than boiling water due to altitude variances. If digital you you should use a potatoe or wood block to keep it off the grate. You should also have the water pan full to keep the temperatures from spiking. You will also notice a difference in temps right to left with the right side being hotter.

Hopes this helps and if you need any help just pm me and I will try and help.

Good luck!!

Mikey not having owned one or contacted their coustomer service how can you condem them? Their customer service is here in the states and are very good. Since you have no experience with them I think your comments about about MasterBuilt products are not valid or warrantanted. It is not fair to other posters to bash something that you don't even own.

I Know you are are against made in China stuff , but get used to it, it is here to stay. At least they have CS here in the states and they take care of their customers and speak english.

Get over it Man.
icon_lol.gif

First of all, Ron, I don't own one, nor do I plan on owning one, for very obvious reasons. Second point: Why on earth would I contact their customer service? That's obvious also. I'm not the only one who "comments" on Masterbuilt products, but it seems that the majority of negative feedback or complaints come from folks who have purchased the mes. I just happen to be a bit more vocal about it. You say "its not fair to bash something that I don't even own". Got a news flash for ya: Who said life was fair? It's not. And yes I have a great disdain for products made in China. I always have and always will. I'll never get used to it, and I'll never get over it. But that's my choice and decision. Show some loyalty; Be American & Buy American!

Mikey, you need to take a pill. I've noticed that you've had negative things to say lately after ronp posts. From everything I've seen, ron is a great guy and really tries to help people that have problems/questions. If you don't like the MES, instead of coming in here are spouting off, why don't you just avoid the topics? I have one and I love it as do a lot of other people. Yes, people have had some problems, but so do people that have Bradleys. I don't own a Bradley, so I don't go into threads about them and offer my opinions on them. If someone has a question about smoking in general or use of an electric, I may weigh in, but not on specific questions about it's use. I also don't criticize other peoples purchasing decisions, because it's none of my business.

Thanks for the ideas guys. The Taylor is a digital, and i placed the probe both in the middle of the smoker and thru the top vent, both readings the same. I tried calibrating it in boiling water, which read about 206, so I know it's about 6 degrees off...I'll try it in ice water too. I'll try the advise of putting water in the pan as well as a potato to keep it off the grates. Thanks again for your help!

...BTW Mikey, the majority of your Chevy diesel 4x4 is made in China.
icon_eek.gif

My Chevy diesel?? I don't own one of those either. BTW lostfish, I have a 24 yr old Ford Ranger
icon_lol.gif
Have a nice day!

lostfish, just remember that there will be swings in temp as the element cycles on and off. The MES internal thermometer is set pretty high up in the box so it will not show the actual swings that occur closer to the element. If you ever put a digital thermometer in your home oven you will also see this same swing in temperature. It's not a stable temperature but it all averages out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky