MES smoking inside Man Cave

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bud lite

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 20, 2008
Joplin, Mo
Last Winter I smoked with the MES outside in the freezing weather and snow.
No more. Now smoking from my Man Cave.

I wanted to keep this as simple as possible.
Top Cap 3"
Galv. Pipe 3" x 5'
Flexable Aluminum Duct 3"
Adjustable elbow 3"
Purists might say I should have used double wall pipe, but,
top of Flexable Aluminum Duct is barely warm to the touch with MES on 225F.

Attachment 22838

The 3" elbow has a tab cut to allow for the MES vent handle. The vent stays open all the time.
Elbow is a nice press fit into vent opening. Easily removed.

Attachment 22839

Works like a charm.
The maiden voyage (smoke) turned out same as if the MES was outside.
TBS from the smoke stack.

Attachment 22840

One disadvantage I had not considered.....
I have to go outside to see if it's still smoking or do I need to add chips.
On the other hand that may be the perfect excuse to buy a new 40" MES with glass door.

Attachment 22842

Actually, from experience I could add chips/chunks about every 30 minutes and be close.
03421787_vbattach22838.jpg

69c0b9b1_vbattach22839.jpg

e974e7d5_vbattach22840.jpg

7d067c4f_vbattach22842.gif

Hi,
I am still learning with my MES as well. I was thinking of doing something like this, but as a learner I have trouble timing when to spritz the meat and when the smoke is high or low so the smoke rolls out usually every other time in my face). I am afraid I will make the whole garage smell like hickory smoke, which is a preference not shared by all in my house.

I also had a concern about insurability. When we lived in Iowa we had a wood burner, and I cut & split wood. They insured the house only because the wood burner had an Underwriters Laboratory plaque on it-none of the older pot-belly stoves were insurable. So I wonder about using this type of application as the manufacturer recommends using outside only. It looks like a very professional installation to me, I am envious.

Good luck with your smoking!

I like your setup, looks like it works great...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I enlarged your pics for better viewing. If you upload your images to photobucket and use the Large setting you will have better looking and easier to see photos where members don't have to click on them to see them.

Here is the link to the thread on how to post using photobucket...
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

WOW that's vary nice. Lucky for me I live on the west coast (left) coast and it won't get so cold that a cold beer can't help warm you up..

Yea but us mid-westerners aren't going have our beer shaken while sliding into the ocean like you all on the west coast... besides we only have to pay to cool our beer 6 month out of the year, mother nature cools it the other 6 months...
icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif

I installed a range hood and vented it outside using a dryer vent out side works well but I was thinking of doing something like you did but using my hood fan connected to the duct work Thanks for the pics this mine

Does your GOSM have side vents? Does the range hood get most of the smoke outta the "cave"? Is your gas tank inside or out? I like this option, I have everything I need to do this, looks like it works great!

I like to see creative minds at work. Nothing like awarm and tasty man cave during the cold spell.

Good idea, what was the cost may I ask? I have been thinking of doing that to my garage, beats the smoking in the rain and snow.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I might just try this in my kitchen at the patio door, cracked 4 inches and vented to the patio where I smoke anyway. I just don't want to smoke up the house so I would have to be extra careful opening the door and be sure it wasn't smoking, ahhh, there is a good reason for the glass door.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the idea.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky