MES Smoker not heating.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Squiggs1989

Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
First off my electric smoker has been down since november. I've been in contact with masterbuilt through email (taking months to sort) and Facebook messenger (immediate responses).

I left my electric smoker in the rain a couple of days on accident. I am assuming that's where the problems arose.

I took back panel off. Looks pristine. I took bottom panel off my circuit board was a rusty mess. My smoker was out of warranty but masterbuilt did a courtesy circuit board. I got done replacing it this morning and still doesnt work properly.

Heres what its doing.

When I plug it up. It clicks on
When I turn control panel on it works.
Set the temp. Set the time. Then nothing. Heating element doesnt come on, but it's still working. (Explain below)

While experimenting the default temperature on control panel would turn on at 250. Only way to heat was to set temp above 250. Omgosh it was heating I was ecstatic. Told masterbuilt that it would heat over 250 but not under. Told me to unplug circuit board amd let it reset. I did so and now the default temperature is 300. <.< I cant set a temp above that so I'm screwed >.>.

Does anyone know what my problem could be?

I have narrowed it down to the Thermocouple, is there a place to buy a new one ?

The color of the wires should tell you what type of thermocouple you have...

Thermocouple Color Codes.png

Thank you for the help. We ordered a few parts for it and hope to work on it next week when they get here. Found a smoker for 25 bucks and gonna hopefully have that working.

Reactions: daveomak
I had a 30" Masterbuilt, used it for a year, then the board went out. They sent me a free one and I have been using it for about 7 years now. I kind of hoped it would poop out so I had an excuse to go to something else. It has been a champion for me. I bought a Weber Performance Deluxe a couple years ago and us it for most everything now . I like to do cheese in the Masterbuilt mostly now. Good luck with your fix.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky