Mes shocking me

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bg rtr

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Killen, AL
Smoked ribs this weekend and I got shocked every time I touched a metal part of the smoker. It wasn't really strong but has me concerned.

I would say, DO NOT use it at all if it's not plugged into a GFI outlet. you either need to call MES if it's still in warranty, or else do some digging in the back to see where it's leaking. Probably some worn/frayed insulation somewhere. Either way, this is nothing to screw around with. If you can feel it, it's fully capable of ruining your day or worse. (You'll be the smoking meat..)

Please, do not take this lightly-

Mark

What Mark said !!!

Unless you have your smoker in the house & you're walking on carpet.

Bear

Yeah, most likely a bent or crimped wire inside. Be sure it's unplugged if you decide to open it.

(I know that doesn't seem like it needs to be said, but you'd be surprised.)

Thx. Failed to mention that the extension cord wasn't grounded. Could this be the cause?

That makes it much, much worse/dangerous-  Now YOU ARE THE GROUND. Please , try a good grounded cord in a GFI. If it trips you know you've got a problem.

Mark

That makes it much, much worse/dangerous-  Now YOU ARE THE GROUND. Please , try a good grounded cord in a GFI. If it trips you know you've got a problem.

Mark
yeahthat.gif
  Always try the simplest fixes first.

Last edited:
Bet you were barefoot or on wet ground

Warranty or not, MES will be panicking becuase this could be a multi-million dollar design liability case against them. They will take immediate action, if you tell them.

Water, Salt and carbon are very good electrical conductors. Check all around and see if there is built up from your cooking or cleaning around electrical components.

dcarch

The likely cause is in the element where the wire has warped to the sheath. Normally this would trip a GFCI or feed the leak through the ground until it gets bad enough to trip the breaker. Without a ground if it gets bad enough it will likely kill or injure someone touching it.  the dangerous thing is that it doesn't take a big jolt to get your heart fibrillating and put you minutes away from death..

Get a circuit tester to check polarity on the circuit and use a grounded cord....... 
Hey Dave,

I tried 4 times today to PM you. All 4 times it said "Conversation from Me to Myself", instead of "Conversation between me & DaveOmak".

I have no problem PMing anyone else.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky