MES no more smoke??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pooh6963

Original poster
May 17, 2018
I have MES digital 30' in the beginning no problem now dosdoes produce and smoke. Chips just burn and doesn't turn to ashes. Contacted customer support haven't heard anything back. Is this a common issue any tricks or techniques I can use??

I’ve never had issues with smoke when I owned one in the past. You could try purchasing an a-maze-n tube smoker to provide your smoke instead of the chip tray since that isn’t working. The 12 inch one should provide about 4-6 hours of smoke so it would be less hands on than adding chips frequently.

I have an MES 40" and after about two or three smokes I decided that trying to use the chip tray was a fools errand. Masterbuilt's cold smoker attachment works fairly well but most often I use an Amazin Pellet Tray. At this point I don't even know where my original chip tray is.

What temp is your MES set at?? The chips won't burn and smoke if the temp is too low.
Also I agree with BKING. An AMNPS loaded with pellets works a lot better than the chip tray in a MES. I'v used one for years in my MES.
Gary
Usually do brisket set ar 225, goes to temp no problem. For some reason just burns chips now and doesn't smoke like when I got it

Usually do brisket set ar 225, goes to temp no problem. For some reason just burns chips now and doesn't smoke like when I got it

I would maybe put a temp probe somewhere on the grate to make sure it’s actually 225 rather than some runaway high number where the chips are burning rather than smoldering. Sometimes the control panel in those things make the smoker do crazy things.

I have the same smoker you have. Get yourself an A-maze-n Tray. You'll thank us. I can get 11 hours on a full tray without refilling it. And welcome to the forum! You'll get a lot of great and friendly advice here.

MES stock thermometers are notorious for inaccuracy. Mine were both out by 20 to 30 degrees.
When it' in the budget, a dual probe remote therm is a great help with all your smoking. I use a Smoke but at $99 it' pricey. Deadly accurate straight out of the box but pricey. There are lots of accurate remote therm out there for a lot less.
Gary

Liking the idea of the Amazen tray, I assume pack the tray torch it let it burn the put in smoker. Any specific location it should go, does it leave a message? dalber dalber thank you for the welcome

Liking the idea of the Amazen tray, I assume pack the tray torch it let it burn the put in smoker. Any specific location it should go, does it leave a message? dalber dalber thank you for the welcome

I put mine in the bottom left of the smoker. If I was at home I'd post a pic for you. But it leaves no mess. All the ashes stay in the tray.

It depends on which MES Generation you have.
In the Gen #2.5 the best place for the AMNPS is on the far right of the bottom rack, with the chip dumper pulled out a couple inches if you need the extra air flow.
If you have the Gen #1, put it on the bottom support rods in the bottom, to the left of the chip burner.

If you live at a high altitude, get the Tube Smoker-----Low Altitude, get the Tray (AMNPS).

Bear

If you can post a picture, perhaps you can show how your chip tray is inserted. I found that on mine it is possible to insert the chip loader (incorrectly) so that it actually comes in direct contact with the heating element. This might get it so hot that the chips actually burn rather than smoulder.

Last edited:
Would you still use the water pan??

There is no good reason for putting water in an MES water pan.
Just cover it with foil to make it easy to clean when it gets really bad, and put it in place.
It will keep the direct heat away from your food, and help distribute the heat & smoke.
I have not put any liquid in my Water pan for the last 8 years.

Bear

I can only speak for myself but I am a huge fan of 6" AMNTS(tube) with the u-bolt mod in the bottom left of the MES.Many say the tube produces to much smoke,in my case I find it produces the perfect amount of smoke.

Why the 6" instead of the 12"?Easier to handle and the amount of time it takes to switch out the tubes when the 1st one is done is minimal.10secs between door opening,replacing tube and closing door,the heat loss is minimal to none.I generally get about 3hrs of smoke out of the 6" tube.Use the chip loader as an airflow regulator.

I've had nothing but issues with the tray in both my MES 30s,can never get it to burn correctly,either to hot or it goes out.The tubes,at least for me have been the answer.

I can only speak for myself but I am a huge fan of 6" AMNTS(tube) with the u-bolt mod in the bottom left of the MES.Many say the tube produces to much smoke,in my case I find it produces the perfect amount of smoke.

Why the 6" instead of the 12"?Easier to handle and the amount of time it takes to switch out the tubes when the 1st one is done is minimal.10secs between door opening,replacing tube and closing door,the heat loss is minimal to none.I generally get about 3hrs of smoke out of the 6" tube.Use the chip loader as an airflow regulator.

I've had nothing but issues with the tray in both my MES 30s,can never get it to burn correctly,either to hot or it goes out.The tubes,at least for me have been the answer.

What is your Altitude?
Those at high altitudes have trouble with the Tray, but the Tube is perfect.
Most of those at low altitudes have trouble with too much smoke from the Tube, but the Tray works Perfectly.(11 hours of Perfect Smoke)

Bear

What is your Altitude?
Those at high altitudes have trouble with the Tray, but the Tube is perfect.
Most of those at low altitudes have trouble with too much smoke from the Tube, but the Tray works Perfectly.(11 hours of Perfect Smoke)

Bear

I can see the Atlantic from my house.

I don't know what it is with the tray but I just couldn't get any consistent results.I tried many different pellets and there's only so many spots you can put it,left or right side of the bottom rack(in a Gen2.5).Only with the chip loader all the way out and max airflow could I get it to work but then I would suffer from wild temp swings.I could go the mailbox mod route but I like simplicity,that and I'm kinda lazy.

I ended up giving it to a friend who has a Gen1 and he has zero issues with it.Go figure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky