MES mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buffalo Smoke

Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
Sorry if this has been already been covered. I'm trying to modify my MES to run off a PID on the bottom of the unit I think I found the area where I need to spice wires together however the wiring doesn't look like the examples I've seen on this forum. I've attached photos of what I found I'm confused as to which wires need to be spliced.

Attachments

• IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1227.JPG
    IMG_1227.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 42
I did the no back removal on my Mes 40 but I don't like the silent thermal safety disk switch that will fail and create a food safety senario without a digital pit therm set to a range that will alert you. I bypassed both Mes 40 and 30 smoker thermal safety switches with a wire nut and accessed to them with a dremel cut off wheel and rely on an audible alert from the pit probe when my smoker is no longer within 145-290. You can get a 14 gauge extension cord and solder/crimp 1/4" female high heat spade lugs on the hot and neutral wires and wrap the ground wire around one of the six element access screws to ground the chassis and be done and wait for an audible alert when temps are out of range on your digital therm or wake up to a cold smoker and start a thread in the food safety forum. I like the no back removal wiring but I like getting chinese crap out of the circuit even more.

Reactions: tallbm
Sorry if this has been already been covered. I'm trying to modify my MES to run off a PID on the bottom of the unit I think I found the area where I need to spice wires together however the wiring doesn't look like the examples I've seen on this forum. I've attached photos of what I found I'm confused as to which wires need to be spliced.
Hi there and welcome!

I made an image for you. Splice the smooth White with the braided Red here in image 1.
Splice the smooth Black with the correlating braided Red on image 2.

Follow the green arrows you do this you should be good to go :)

gKBOlCv.png

Reactions: GATOR240 and TNJAKE
Hi there and welcome!

I made an image for you. Splice the smooth White with the braided Red here in image 1.
Splice the smooth Black with the correlating braided Red on image 2.

Follow the green arrows you do this you should be good to go :)

View attachment 506929
Thanks exactly the info I was looking for

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky