MES Issue???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DKOTLAREK

Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Just bought a new MES. It seems to be getting way too hot. I am trying to smoke snack sticks starting at 130 degrees with no water or chips and it jumps to 227 degrees. WTF???

Any ideas?

TIA..Dan

Just bought a new MES. It seems to be getting way too hot. I am trying to smoke snack sticks starting at 130 degrees with no water or chips and it jumps to 227 degrees. WTF???

Any ideas?

TIA..Dan
Dan,

If you are going by the factory thermometer ...don't. They are notoriously inaccurate. If you happen to have another thermometer that is made for oven use I would set it in the smoker and go by that (since you are in the middle of a smoke). Otherwise, most MES owners use a dual probe thermometer. Good luck, hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum.

Which MES do you own? It will help if you can post a picture, as there are different generations and hybrids of the MES units. There are several people on here with more knowledge than myself, that I'm sure will be along with some good advice...hang in there. Just going from my own experience, try setting your temp for 110 degrees or a little lower for 15 to 20 minutes, let the temp settle in, and see where that gets you. These units are well known for temperature swings.

Yes they have temp swings but should not over run 100 degrees . Like said above , make sure of your readings with a remote therm

That sounds like it's plain broken upon delivery. Did you season it first? Like..did you absolutely make sure all the stuff has been removed, and you seasoned it? Some of the actual packing materials on the parts looks like it should be part of it and isn't. But if that thing has already been seasoned and doing 100f jump? It's likely defective upon purchase.

Yes they have temp swings but should not over run 100 degrees . Like said above , make sure of your readings with a remote therm

You're right chopsaw, that is a huge swing. Mine will go +20 - 25 degrees on startup for whatever reason, and then , once it shuts off and turns on again it holds a much tighter cycle and runs like clockwork. I just need to let it run for an hour or so to let it level off and settle in.

I made sure all packing material was out. I seasoned it, well. I tried running it again after unplugging it for a while and it held firm this time.

Is it normal to see temperature differences between running it dry (no wood or water) versus running it with wood & water? different scenario, but I was just curious???

There shouldn't be a difference and you shouldn't ever put liquid in the MES water pan. It's entirely un needed. The only time the temperatures do unexpected things is with the AMNPS; it has to re-adjust for the pellets being burned.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky