MES in the cold

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wazzuqer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Moses Lake, WA
I have a Masterbuilt 30 that's around 4-5 years old, planning on smoking some duck snack sticks this weekend. Temperature is gonna be between -5 and 5 Fahrenheit for the day, Was wondering how my smoker will do in this chilly weather? anybody had any luck running there's all day long at these temps?? Thanks ...

You will more than likely have to heat up the inside of the smoker body to get the electronics to start...  I often use a hair dryer to heat the thermocouple to fool it into thinking it's warm ....   and you will have to keep it warm until the element can heat up the smoker..   OR.. set an electric heater in front of it....  Below is a heater to preheat the MES 30 and form a pellicle on the bacon bellies...

Yah after listening to the family tell how crazy I was for wanting to do it, I have put it off till it warms up, Thanks for the good advice...

All of my MES Smokers worked for years at low Temps without heating them up first in any way.

However the last 4 years the one I use now doesn't work below 20°, but I think it's because there's nobody out there to plug it in!! 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bear

I just did 5 lbs of Teriyaki snack sticks and 5 lbs of Venison summer sausage yesterday with the temps around -26 with the windchill and my MES 30 had no problems.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky