MES heating problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Robert,
Welcome to SMF. What model do you have? As an option, I would consider doing the Auber PID controller mod instead of just replacing your current controller. There are tons of threads about this. Here's a link to a recent thread. Otherwise consider doing a search under "Auber PID"

Craig

Can you post a link to what model you bought? My MES40 control panel just died and would love to salvage it with a new controller. Thanks
Robert , this is the one I bought , with the multi purpose sensor .

Here's a link to the thread that shows the process .

Robert,
Welcome to SMF. What model do you have? As an option, I would consider doing the Auber PID controller mod instead of just replacing your current controller. There are tons of threads about this. Here's a link to a recent thread. Otherwise consider doing a search under "Auber PID"

Craig
Thanks!! I have the Master-built 40" Bluetooth model 20070215. They do not make the control panel anymore so was afraid of having to buy a new smoker. This will give me a chance to bring it back from the dead.

Robert , this is the one I bought , with the multi purpose sensor .

Here's a link to the thread that shows the process .
Thank you!

Robert,
I had access to the heating element in my MES40 and thus connected a power cord directly to the heating element. The other end of the power cord now plugs into back of the Auber PID. The heat sensor wire of the Auber runs down into the exhaust vent, into the chamber of the MES40. Very flawless and reliable. BTW, what town/state do you reside in?

Last edited:
I live in Albuquerque NM!! I was able access the heating element wire from the bottom access panel. Is there a way to keep using the high temperature sensor on the back of the MES40? I can see were the wires go but they are very thin wires and wasn't sure if I just needed to wire the sensor up in series with one of the power wires.

Thanks Again

I live in Albuquerque NM!! I was able access the heating element wire from the bottom access panel. Is there a way to keep using the high temperature sensor on the back of the MES40? I can see were the wires go but they are very thin wires and wasn't sure if I just needed to wire the sensor up in series with one of the power wires.

Thanks Again
Hi there and welcome!

Check out the following post, it will show you how to rewire your MES while still being able to keep the safety rollout limit switch in the wiring circuit :)

In short you get to the circuit board on the bottom/underside of the MES and you unhook 4 wires, cut the ends off and splice together the proper wires to now make 2 wires and u have successfuly bypassed the circuit board and now the MES plug will simply feed power to the heating element while still keeping the safety rollout limit switch in the mix :)
You get the PID controller posted above and u will have an MES that worked 10x better than it ever did brand new hahaha :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky