MES heating problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unclejhim

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Folsom, La.
My 40 " MES continues heating past the temperature that is set.
I'm assuming the controller is bad. How much of a job is that to fix?
Thanks

This is typical of the MES.Use a good quality after market thermometer like Inkbird or ThermoPro to monitor your chamber temp and adjust the stock controller to get the desired temp.I generally have to set mine at 210-215 to keep it around 225.

If you want true accuracy then use a PID and never think about it again.This where tallbm tallbm can help.

Reactions: tallbm and chopsaw

This was my issue. Masterbuilt sent me a replacement Power Control Board and haven’t had an issue since.

You can replace the MES controller with a PID unit and SSR to regulate the smoker temperature.

I have done one and am planning on offering a kit for MES users in the future to do controller upgrades.

The PID controller will regulate your smoker cabinet very tightly and accurately.

Here is a beta prototype I just finished. My next version will look far more refined.

This pic shows the unit not fully assembled. If you have any experience at wiring, I have also included a schematic for the control wiring.

The only downfall for this set-up is the PID controller only reads in degrees C.

The version you see here cost about $45 and all hardware was off the shelf stuff you can get at any home improvement store.

MBS control rebuild.jpg

Attachments

• MES PID.pdf
    50.5 KB · Views: 21
This is typical of the MES.Use a good quality after market thermometer like Inkbird or ThermoPro to monitor your chamber temp and adjust the stock controller to get the desired temp.I generally have to set mine at 210-215 to keep it around 225.

If you want true accuracy then use a PID and never think about it again.This where tallbm tallbm can help.
My 40 " MES continues heating past the temperature that is set.
I'm assuming the controller is bad. How much of a job is that to fix?
Thanks
I understand the fluctuation in the temp. But mine was set at 225 was reading 280 and still heating.
I talked to Masterbuilt and they said Ccontroller was probably bad.

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
You can replace the MES controller with a PID unit and SSR to regulate the smoker temperature.

I have done one and am planning on offering a kit for MES users in the future to do controller upgrades.

The PID controller will regulate your smoker cabinet very tightly and accurately.

Here is a beta prototype I just finished. My next version will look far more refined.

This pic shows the unit not fully assembled. If you have any experience at wiring, I have also included a schematic for the control wiring.

The only downfall for this set-up is the PID controller only reads in degrees C.

The version you see here cost about $45 and all hardware was off the shelf stuff you can get at any home improvement store.

View attachment 432248
I may well be interested in that once you get it ready to go.

This was my issue. Masterbuilt sent me a replacement Power Control Board and haven’t had an issue since.
I talked to them today and they said the same thing, but I have to buy new controller

I may well be interested in that once you get it ready to go.

I would have one ready by now but the corona virus situation in China is making it very difficult getting electronics parts shipped. Also, the tariffs didn't help, it raised my wholesale cost of parts by almost 40%!

I will post some pics of my prototype retail unit as soon as I get the parts in.

JC :emoji_cat:

I changed my MES40 over to an Auber PID controller and never looked back. Extremely accurate and reads in both F & C degrees. Very easy swap by bypassing the entire smoker's controller. Hooking up a power cord directly to the element and then plug the cord to the back of the PID.

I understand the fluctuation in the temp. But mine was set at 225 was reading 280 and still heating.
I talked to Masterbuilt and they said Ccontroller was probably bad.

Was that 280° reading from an accurate Therm, or from your MES?
If it's an accurate therm, be sure to shut it down if it gets to 310°, and keeps going.
I agree, if they won't help you get squared away, I'd go with the PID.

Bear

Was that 280° reading from an accurate Therm, or from your MES?
If it's an accurate therm, be sure to shut it down if it gets to 310°, and keeps going.
I agree, if they won't help you get squared away, I'd go with the PID.

It was from an accurate Threm. I did shut it down at 280 . I called Masterbuilt and they said to replace the controller. Just for grins I took the control unit off, cleaned the plugs and now it seems to be working fine. We shall see what the future brings.
I was trying to smoke a corned beef for pastrami when this all happened. So I did a cold smoke on the corned beef for 3 hrs. then put it in the oven at 235. It's reading about 265 now so hopefully next week we're gonna have some Pastrami sandwiches.

It was from an accurate Threm. I did shut it down at 280 . I called Masterbuilt and they said to replace the controller. Just for grins I took the control unit off, cleaned the plugs and now it seems to be working fine. We shall see what the future brings.
I was trying to smoke a corned beef for pastrami when this all happened. So I did a cold smoke on the corned beef for 3 hrs. then put it in the oven at 235. It's reading about 265 now so hopefully next week we're gonna have some Pastrami sandwiches.

Sounds good, If they send you a new controller, and this one is still working, I'd just hold onto the new one, for a back-up.
Hopefully you'l be good to go from here out.

Bear

I love the idea of the kit, but I can't help but think that only reading in Celsius is really going to hurt your sales :-(

Yup---Especially for us Old Folks:
We didn't have any Celsius, or Metrics in school.
We had Feet, Inches, Yards, Pounds, Ounces, and Fahrenheit. Anything else just causes a headache!!
I still think they just brought Metrics into the US to sell everybody another complete set of tools!!!

Bear

As I said earlier, using an Auber PID is so easy to use and is readily available. The only thing you need to be able to do is to connect a power cord to the heating element. My MES40 Gen1 was very easy.

Reactions: chopsaw
Auber PID is so easy to use and is readily available.
Never heard anyone say they were sorry they bought one . I love mine . Money well spent . If I ever buy a new MES I won't even wait . I'll change it over right out of the box .

Never heard anyone say they were sorry they bought one . I love mine . Money well spent . If I ever buy a new MES I won't even wait . I'll change it over right out of the box .
FB marketplace has smokers in your. Vicinity. I just need a good door, box and a back up element less than $100.

Can you post a link to what model you bought? My MES40 control panel just died and would love to salvage it with a new controller. Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky