MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Info (Digital Units)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Are we on a gen #3 now? The MES 40 on the Masterbuilt site has the door hinged on the right and the vent is on the right too.

No, that's one of what I like to call a "Hybrid";
It has a Generation #1 exterior, with a Generation 2.5 interior.
The only thing I don't like about it is the top vent being on the same side as the heating element.
There are various ways to deal with that problem, but the best thing would be to actually add a vent to the top left, and use that more than the right one.

Bear

Reactions: tallbm
Are we on a gen #3 now? The MES 40 on the Masterbuilt site has the door hinged on the right and the vent is on the right too.
Like Bear said we still have only the gen 1, 2, 2.5 and hybrid blends and very hard to find all stainless steel inside and out Mes. They are all black paint and will peel at the door seal when people use liquids in the pan more so than no liquids. The closest to a gen 3 was the 140s 130s and 140g and 130g with the open uncovered centered heating element, right side chip/chunk burner with its own 150 watt element, upper broiler element and rotisserie. These became obsolete as fast as they came out. When they came out a couple years ago most of us Mes users knew there were way too many thermal safety switches, one for each of the three elements, and their respective controller sensor for each, and the three heating elements. Before buying a Mes I'd messenger MB on their FB page with the model number to inquire about obsolete Mes and if controllers and heating elements are available. Get that model with at least one spare element because they are a good deal from MB. You can always get a PID controller when the stock controller fails or shop for a Mes on FB Marketplace etc and get a PID controller right off the bat. Lots of us went that direction with stock controllers that still work. I have a back up element for my all SS gen 1 40. This one looks like it'll last another 10 years or more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky