MES Control Panel visibility issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drewb0y

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
I have a recently acquired MES 40 20070407 that I've done a few smokes on so far. The first thing I had to do with it is replace the control panel as the original one's LEDs were defective due to heat and smoke exposure. The main issue I have with it now is that you can't see it in daylight. Looks fine at night or in really good shade. Don't know if it's the green color of the LEDs or something with the polarization of the plastic lens. Has anyone found a solution or mod for this?

Another question is to prevent the failure of the control panel from heat and smoke, has anyone relocated it by extending the wires?

Thanks in advance for any response.
Selection_016.jpg

Thanks Gary. Yeah I was thinking maybe something like a cut down shoebox or something. I do have a covered back deck, but it's further from the house and totally mosquitoland. I am researching the PID thing on the forums now. I'm a techie, so the more gadgety the better!

I haven't had that problem since I got rid of my original MES 30, back about 8 years ago.
All I did then was cup my hand over it to give it some shade,
Since that, my Gen #1 MES40 didn't have that problem, and my Gen #2.5 MES40 has a tinted shield over the digital read-out.

Bear

You won't be sorry if you go with the PID controller . This is the one a lot of us use .

As much as my wife loves the smoked meats, I'd probably get in trouble spending that much! I did just order the AMNPS 5X8 pellet tray. For now I may just extend the cable on the existing control panel and make a covered box of some kind that I can mount to the side. I will definitely be researching the PID thing though.

As much as my wife loves the smoked meats, I'd probably get in trouble spending that much! I did just order the AMNPS 5X8 pellet tray. For now I may just extend the cable on the existing control panel and make a covered box of some kind that I can mount to the side. I will definitely be researching the PID thing though.
Do it! She loves the smoked meats! It's an investment in the electronics you can unplug and bring inside in a nice dry environment where they should be when not in use. Do it!

Do it! She loves the smoked meats! It's an investment in the electronics you can unplug and bring inside in a nice dry environment where they should be when not in use. Do it!
I'll just say Dr K told me to do it! :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: dr k
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky