MES and water tray.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rwmiracle2

Original poster
Nov 13, 2015
Was wondering. First time to use this I am smoking the turkey. How much liquid to put in water tray and how often will it need filled? I was going to do the apple juice and water mixture.

My answers is none. Myself and plenty of other MES users on here don't use any water and have never seen a negative result. It won't really hurt anything but it does add a lot of steam to the smoker and I don't think it adds any moisture or flavor. 

My answers is none. Myself and plenty of other MES users on here don't use any water and have never seen a negative result. It won't really hurt anything but it does add a lot of steam to the smoker and I don't think it adds any moisture or flavor. 
Only other questions I have is put it on bottom rack? And directly on rack or sit in baking tray?

I would not put the turkey on the bottom rack. You want some distance between the meat and the element. I would put it as high as you can while still leaving 3-4 inches from the roof. 

Now whether to put it in a pan or not is up to you. Some people like it in a pan as you will get more drippings that way (but you get less smoke). I don't place turkey in a pan but that is just me. 

Reactions: rwmiracle2
texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from another pretty nice day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything. 

Gary

Only other questions I have is put it on bottom rack? And directly on rack or sit in baking tray?

I would not put the turkey on the bottom rack. You want some distance between the meat and the element. I would put it as high as you can while still leaving 3-4 inches from the roof. 

Now whether to put it in a pan or not is up to you. Some people like it in a pan as you will get more drippings that way (but you get less smoke). I don't place turkey in a pan but that is just me. 
I agree with the placement of the Turkey, by bmaddox.

As for putting it in the Pan, if you put a Wire cooling rack under the Turkey, in the pan, it will be an easier clean-up, it won't sit in fats & juices, and the smoke will get all around the whole Turkey. I do that with all my Prime Ribs now---Works Great.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky