MES and Smoking Sausage questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nakom

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Fayetteville TN
I have the 40 MES going, it is set to 180deg and I have 15lbs of polish sausage in it with the Amazing smoker going.  My question is there is condensation running down the inside glass like a shower.  Everything seems to be fine but wanted to make sure that was normal or should I open the top vent more? 

I have 3 temp gages in sausage going they are running 140ish right now.  Do i need to shower the sausage when it comes out?  Hi MNT doesnt say to so I was unsure.

I have learned alot during this sausage run it was my first.  I will post pictures later.

Thanks,

Nick

I would open the vent all the way.

It has to let some of that humidity out.

There are only a very few occasions that my exhaust vent is not all the way open.

Bear 

Never have made my own sausage. But, would it be smoked like bacon w/ no water pan???

Thanks Bear, I am opening it now.  Eman, I did not put a water pan in sorry I forgot to mention that.

Thanks Bear, I am opening it now.  Eman, I did not put a water pan in sorry I forgot to mention that.
You should always put your pan in your MES, even if it is empty.

Don't forget to wrap it good with foil first, and your drip pan in the bottom.

If it's too late, clean it as soon as you can, and start covering it next time---You'll thank me later.

Bear

Thank You Bear....OH, You Meant Nick!!!

Nick,

Lots of moisture comes out when you make sausage or sticks, and Bear's right, open the vent up to let the moisture out.

Just think of the extra water you added when you made the sausage?

Todd

icon_cool.gif

Now you should have the top vents open most of the time anyway. You don't want to have the smoke spending too much time in the smoker. You want it to swirl around and get out of the smoker.

Thanks everyone for the information.  The sausage turned out ok, I used a kit from Hi MNT and used Venison and Pork.  There is a spice in it I am not fond of and I believe it is coriander.  It is still good sausage and the wife likes it so all is good.  For my first attempt I learned alot about making sausage.  I will post a Qview when I get the pictures off the camera.

Thanks Again,

Nick

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky