MES analog vs digital

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmwrtmike

Original poster
Nov 5, 2015
Puyallup, WA
I have a big chief with a pid and am thinking about upgrading to an MES 30. I am trying to decide if I should get the digital or analog. Either way I am going to use the pid. Help me decide please.
Thanks

Last edited:
With the digital you will have to do some serious rewiring to get the PID to work. If you are up to that challenge than the digital units are better insulated so they are worth the price increase. 

I was looking at the max temp of both units and the analog says 400 degrees vs 275 for the digital. Is that true?

If you use an AMNPS for smoke (which most of us do), you'll probably have to drill holes in the bottom area of the Analog, because of the lack of air flow. Not a big deal though.

Bear

I was looking at the max temp of both units and the analog says 400 degrees vs 275 for the digital. Is that true?
I haven't paid that close of attention on my FIL's analog but yes my digital only goes to 275.
I was thinking that the analog might be more reliable.
Once you bypass the controls on the digital and wire the element to the PID you should have the same reliability. You could also upgrade the wire and connectors when doing the PID upgrade. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky