MES 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevinbthgrouse

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 27, 2020
Antigo Wisconsin
Has anyone moved from the 30 to the 40 and noticed that the amazen tubes or trays work better in them... with all the trouble I had with my 30 keeping them going so far it doesn't seem like a problem with the 40 your thoughts appreciated

My personal experience with the tray is could only keep it going with dust and dust only worked good in the mailbox. The dust would all burn up quick when placed in the smoker. The pellet tube has always worked good for me except had an instant in the 30 where I laid it on the heat deflector and it started on fire and lit the grease on fire. Was pretty scary. There was not enough room in the 30 model I had to put the tube on the bottom. Had to put on a shelf. When I got the 40 tube fits great on the bottom. Others have had luck with the tray but for me only use it with dust in the mailbox for cold smoking.

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
I am on my second MES40 (never used an MES30) - but I have used the AMNPS in both of them. Still had to find the "sweet spot" near the chip tube (half-open) to get the AMNPS to burn steady/properly. But once I dialed in my set-up - it sure works well!

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
I own both. 30 even with issues that they have is still going strong. Controller and element still original. Love my sportsman's 40 by masterbuilt. But never used my AMNPS in either. I have the mailbox mod done on both. I have read in other posts to pull the chip loader out some letting in more air to them. Watching out that you don't let too much air in and having it catch fire. The member to ask is Bear. He has several and has done some good field work on the units.
He can answer questions about them with more solid information.
Good luck

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky