MES 40 with Remote (Christmas Present)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
 A lot of you guys have known for awhile that I was getting tired of my MES 30, because of it's size. I don't like having to cut my ribs up to smoke them. I don't like mixing up a 10 pound batch of Unstuffed Beef Sticks, and only be able to fit 7 pounds on my smoker racks. So when everybody was saying the new MES 40 wouldn't be out until January or Spring, I said I'm waiting until the end of October or November, because that's when I think the new models will be out. Then they started popping up in Sam's Clubs & Cabela's at the end of October. I was real glad I waited when I saw the new model, with the remote control, wheels, and tilting handle. I wanted one real bad! I kept calling Sam's & searching the web. Then my son called me to tell me they had them at Cabela's, but they were $399, instead of the Sam's price of $299. I called Masterbuilt to ask what the difference was between the Sam's model (#211) and the Cabela's model (#311). A very nice lady there told me, "Only the model number, they are both the same---All Stainless Steel--inside & out". I could not understand how that could be possible. Then one of the guys on the SMF bought one at Sam's & posted pictures of it being black on the outside, and my son personally saw one at Cabela's, and told me it was all Stainless. Now we knew why the difference in price. I was quite willing to get one from Sam's, saving the $100, and not getting All Stainless, but there were none anywhere within 70 miles of my home, and the Sam's main office said no new model was even on their computer system (this was after I knew somebody had already bought one at a Sam's Club in Illinois). So Cabela's it is. I hate to lay out that much money, and the sales will be coming up in December, but I'm not taking any chances of missing one and having to wait until Spring. We're going to Cabela's with nothing but a little $30 OFF coupon! While we were getting ready to go, my son called and told my wife, "Don't leave until I get there". Our son only lives about 200 yards away, down the same driveway, farther back in the woods. So we're locking up the doors & my son pulls in, walks over to me, and hands me $500. He says, "I was going to get you that new smoker for Christmas, but since you're getting one now, I want you to use this to buy it. There's a little extra there, so get something else with that". Wow!!! What a great kid!! Somebody did a Helluva Job job raising him!!!

So we get there an hour later & buy one of the 49 brand new #311s Cabela's had in stock. The next day I cleaned up my old MES 30 (what a job!), and put it away. Yesterday I put the loose parts on the new one & tested the remote control (results below). I was going to season it yesterday, and do a bunch of tests, but it was so windy here, the tests would not have been accurate. I hope to do that today.

As you will see below the next problem I had was figuring out where to put this new smoker, but my wife was very helpful in making my decision:

Bear:   If I put it in the Living Room, I'd be close to my guns, in case somebody tries to steal my Bacon.

Mrs Bear:   NO!

b657f6d5_DSC01656.jpg

Bear:   If I put it here, I can smoke while watching the game.

d1146759_DSC01659.jpg

Bear:   If I put it here, I can keep a close eye on the Night Smokes.

9bab9021_DSC01660.jpg

Bear:   If I put it here, I wouldn't have to carry the stuff very far.

95bda96c_DSC01663.jpg

Bear:   How about here, next to my Weber "Q"?

Mrs Bear:   OKay.

78ff7296_DSC01665.jpg

Bear:   Boy does she drive a hard bargain!

b441e942_DSC01667.jpg

No bending over, thanks to my stacker boxes (using two of my set of 4).

508ee689_DSC01668.jpg

I tested the remote from where I'm standing while taking this picture (more than 210') from my mailbox to my front porch. The smoker is on the porch, to the left of my American Flag, and the only thing between me & the smoker is the wood porch railing & pickets. I also tested it from my chair in the living room, from the Kitchen, Dining Room, both Bedrooms, The upstairs Loft, the Basement, the Garage, and even from my deck on the other side of the house. I could turn the light in the smoker "on & off" with the remote from any of those places. I would have tested it with a clear shot from 300 feet, because that is how far it's supposed to work, but you can't walk that far in any direction from my house without going into the woods, and that would not be a "clear shot". A distance of 200'+ is fine with me:

e21ae229_DSC01669.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Bear

Last edited:
Bear,

How long did Mrs. Bear let you keep it in "Her" Bedroom?

Looks Great My Friend!

TJ

Woo Hoo! Go papa Bear! And kudos on raising such a fine son. Is he married???? If not does he wanna be? Does he like older women??? LOLOL!

That thing is beautiful by the way. I ordered one from Cabella's for $399, but the description said it was all stainless steel, but black on the sides. Go figure.

Love the cabin too! Big Hugs!

Bear,  This is just a guess but judging from all the different locations you tried to put it, I would have to say someone was having fun pulling the new smoker around with the handle and wheels ...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Congratulations...

Squirrel, Did you make sure that you are getting the NEW MODEL?

Listening to mama bear always makes life easier. Nice smoker. Looks like there will be plenty of room.
Thanks RB,

See below.
Bear,

How long did Mrs. Bear let you keep it in "Her" Bedroom?

Looks Great My Friend!

TJ
HA HA---I could keep it there as long as I wanted, as long as this old Bear sleeps with the Outside Guard Grizzlies.

I think that's what the deal was.

Bear

Looks good. New toys are great.

Nice place ya live in too.

Woo Hoo! Go papa Bear! And kudos on raising such a fine son. Is he married???? If not does he wanna be? Does he like older women??? LOLOL!

That thing is beautiful by the way. I ordered one from Cabella's for $399, but the description said it was all stainless steel, but black on the sides. Go figure.

Love the cabin too! Big Hugs!
Thanks Squirrel,

Yup, he's married. 

Like Beer-B-Q said, make sure you ordered the right one:

The model number of this one ends with #311, and it is ALL Stainless Steel.

Cabela's has the old model, without the remote, wheels, and tilt handle for the same price of $399.

You might be OK, because the description of this one on their web site is wrong---It's ALL SS, and the picture shows black.

Bear

Bear,  This is just a guess but judging from all the different locations you tried to put it, I would have to say someone was having fun pulling the new smoker around with the handle and wheels ...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Congratulations...

Squirrel, Did you make sure that you are getting the NEW MODEL?
That was kinda fun, and easy too.
wink.gif

Bear

Bear ..That is NICE...I just built a cart with wheels to move my smoker in and out of the garage.I'm smoking a butt as I text and that remote feature sure would be handy.I'm constantly going out and checking on the internal temp waiting for the 165. All I can say is saaa-weet. I'm sure it will work out great for you.

Thanks Squirrel,

Yup, he's married. 

Like Beer-B-Q said, make sure you ordered the right one:

The model number of this one ends with #311, and it is ALL Stainless Steel.

Cabela's has the old model, without the remote, wheels, and tilt handle for the same price of $399.

You might be OK, because the description of this one on their web site is wrong---It's ALL SS, and the picture shows black.

Bear

That was kinda fun, and easy too.
wink.gif

Bear

Bear I must say I am very jealous of you early Christmas present. Very nice. I love that you demonstrated the portability of the new wheels. By the way I bet you wore the wheels off moving it around so much on the first day.

The Cabela's web site shows the new 40'' model 20070311(cabela's Item: IK-550174  ) with all stainless steel sides. Most of the pictures or of the new 30'' model with the black sides.

Here is the picture i got off of there web site of your 40'' http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=1088479&cImage=s7_550174_002_01  

faf4acb9_s7_550174_002_01.jpg

Congrats Bear. Thats a awesome gift from the son.

Bear ..That is NICE...I just built a cart with wheels to move my smoker in and out of the garage.I'm smoking a butt as I text and that remote feature sure would be handy.I'm constantly going out and checking on the internal temp waiting for the 165. All I can say is saaa-weet. I'm sure it will work out great for you.
Thanks Bobby

Good job, and a fun post.

Looking at that driveway -- do you have a two-stage snow blower? 
Thanks Dale,

I have a 42" two stage, mounted on my 28 year old Gravely (12 HP)---Works great.

The driveway that goes to the right in the picture goes to my son's tower shop & to his house. It's about a quarter mile long, but he has a "Boss" V-plow on one of his big Dodges for that.

Bear

Great Post!  Enjoyed the whole story, and it's great to have offspring that like to give a little back, you did a good job with him no doubt.  Like the log cabin too.

Last edited:
Congrat's on the early Christmas present Bear, and thanks for the remote control review. I'm thinkin i might like one of them now.

Dan

Bear I must say I am very jealous of you early Christmas present. Very nice. I love that you demonstrated the portability of the new wheels. By the way I bet you wore the wheels off moving it around so much on the first day.

The Cabela's web site shows the new 40'' model 20070311(cabela's Item: IK-550174  ) with all stainless steel sides. Most of the pictures or of the new 30'' model with the black sides.

Here is the picture i got off of there web site of your 40'' http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=1088479&cImage=s7_550174_002_01  

faf4acb9_s7_550174_002_01.jpg
Thanks Jake,

That picture must have been put in after I bought mine. The black one was showing with the description of the remote control unit before.

I had to move it around a lot, because from now on it will be sitting at the same place, on my stacking height boxes. I made 4 of them when I used to chainsaw carve. I could put my carving at heights of 1', 2', 3', or 4', depending on how many of them I would stack. For carvings weighing from 100 to 600 pounds, I'd just use my son's fork lift.

I don't like bending over, so I used two boxes, 12" high each for under the smoker. Makes the top of the smoker just below my chin.

Bear

Congrats Bear. Thats a awesome gift from the son.
Thanks Brian,

He's a good kid. (LOL---38 year old kid that is).
eek.gif

Great Post!  Enjoyed the whole story, and it's great to have offspring that like to give a little back, you did a good job with him no doubt.  Like the log cabin too.
Thanks DD,

He gives back a lot. Mrs Bear had a lot to do with it too.
icon_cool.gif

I never had to hit that kid! When he was bad, all I had to do was send him to his room (without the baseball). He hated being alone.

Congrat's on the early Christmas present Bear, and thanks for the remote control review. I'm thinkin i might like one of them now.

Dan
Thanks Dan,

You'd love it too.

Wow Bear what a great Christmas gift. Momma Bear must have done a good job with the son
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky