MES 40" w/window - replace temperature sensor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slingblade01

Original poster
Jul 12, 2021
Hello,

I have an MES 40" w/ window model# 20070311. It is out of warranty. It has a vent on the right side so I'm assuming it's a Gen1?

Anyway, my MES shows 275 degrees and my Maverick shows 187. I boil-tested my Maverick, 212 degrees.

At this point, I'm guessing the MES temp sensor is bad. But to get to the sensor, it would appear that I have to remove the rivets from the rear panel. Correct?
Is the round sensor to the left of the temp sensor a limit switch?

Can anyone provide links to aftermarket replacements for both sensors?
Is there anything else I should test/replace once I open up the back?

I'm open to suggestions.

If you open the back, replace the heating element connectors. And if you were to do a PID, you wouldn't have to worry about the heat sensor. Let me tell you it is "WELL" worth the investment. You would be completely wowed how nice your smoker would work for you.
Welcome to the forum from ND.

Reactions: tallbm
If you open the back, replace the heating element connectors. And if you were to do a PID, you wouldn't have to worry about the heat sensor. Let me tell you it is "WELL" worth the investment. You would be completely wowed how nice your smoker would work for you.
Welcome to the forum from ND.
I appreciate the suggestion. What is a PID? There are thousands of threads here. Is there a tutorial thread and explanation?

I see that it is a temp controller. I'm assuming it manages the heating element?

Are there suggested brands that work well with the MES 40"?

Hello,

I have an MES 40" w/ window model# 20070311. It is out of warranty. It has a vent on the right side so I'm assuming it's a Gen1?

Anyway, my MES shows 275 degrees and my Maverick shows 187. I boil-tested my Maverick, 212 degrees.

At this point, I'm guessing the MES temp sensor is bad. But to get to the sensor, it would appear that I have to remove the rivets from the rear panel. Correct?
Is the round sensor to the left of the temp sensor a limit switch?

Can anyone provide links to aftermarket replacements for both sensors?
Is there anything else I should test/replace once I open up the back?

I'm open to suggestions.

Hi there and welcome!

Here is a detailed post on making your MES work with a PID Controller:

It is kind of uncommon for an MES temp probe to go out HOWEVER the safety rollout limit switch craps out all the time on people. My guess is that it is overheating and in the process of melting down so it thinks your smoker is getting too hot when it is actually the safety switch itself getting too hot.
If you don't have a panel (half way up the back of the smoker) to get to it then you will have to drill out the rivets to get to it, unless you just measure where the switch is and carefully cut like an 8inch by 6 inch rectangle then you won't have to take the back off. Use a sheet of scrap aluminum and sheet metal screw it over the hole for your panel cover.
This is what I would do having pulled a number of backs off MES units and made panels haha.

Auber PID's are a simple and cost effective as you will find for the job. Try not to get shocked at the sticker price of like $150. You have to look at it like you are buying a new smoker that will DESTROY anything you could find brand new that doesn't cost $1000 or more.

This will run any of the regular MES units out there:

As someone mentioned earlier I would replace the connectors at the heating element and the safety rollout limit switch with hi temp ones. Masterbuilt uses crappy ones that corrode faster than lightning strikes. These will do the trick:

Here are replacement safety rollout limit switches. BUY ONLY THESE EXACT ONES!!! There are others that look the same but are not. They are built differently and will not work:

This info should get you started. Absorb it and ask any other questions you have. We'll get you fixed up :)

Hi there and welcome!

Here is a detailed post on making your MES work with a PID Controller:

It is kind of uncommon for an MES temp probe to go out HOWEVER the safety rollout limit switch craps out all the time on people. My guess is that it is overheating and in the process of melting down so it thinks your smoker is getting too hot when it is actually the safety switch itself getting too hot.
If you don't have a panel (half way up the back of the smoker) to get to it then you will have to drill out the rivets to get to it, unless you just measure where the switch is and carefully cut like an 8inch by 6 inch rectangle then you won't have to take the back off. Use a sheet of scrap aluminum and sheet metal screw it over the hole for your panel cover.
This is what I would do having pulled a number of backs off MES units and made panels haha.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

I read it all. Super simple.
What are your thoughts on the WIFI Auber, AW-WST1510H-W?

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

I read it all. Super simple.
What are your thoughts on the WIFI Auber, AW-WST1510H-W?

Glad it helped!

I think it's a good unit based on what others have said. I have a much more complicated wifi one and the wifi portion is no longer working so if I did wifi again I would get an Auber unit.
People who have the wifi ones love it. Only the most minor of complaints or semi-negative comments. Having used the wifi one I have I think the simplicity of the Auber WIFI is actually a major strength lol.

I would highly recommend you go 1 free hanging smoker probe, and 2 of the regular meat probes, no mini meat probe. Definitely get all the probes the thing can use.
I use a probe alligator clip to hook my smoker probe under the center of my lowest rack.

Other than that I think you are in good shape man. You will LOVE your new smoker PID performance man!

FYI, I use higher temp rollout limit switch so I can do 325F fast chicken smokes (under 4 hours) so the skin is edible and often crispy BUT you have to watch your smoker temp since the MES is really only rated for 300F. Just some food for thought if you want to pick my brain about how to go about this. With this setup I can do any smoke out there without limitations :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky