MES 40 Upgrade

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maplenut

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 4, 2015
I have decided that it was time to upgrade my MES 40.
I knew that it's performance was so-so, but I never had any issues till this last smoke where I did ribs. it worked but I noticed that the smoker temp would swing all over the place.
Sometimes up to 15 degrees.

I got myself an Auber Instruments electric smoker controller WST-1510H. I looked also at the model that had wifi capability but decided it would only be as good as their app so I just went with the non-wifi one.

This modification is completely reverseable. the only modification to the smoker itself is installing a jumper to bypass the control board and operator panel on top of the smoker.
The Auber PID controller will now run the smoker.

Pic1.jpg
Pic2.jpg

Auber Instrument WST-1510H
Pic3.jpg

Have to remove the cover on the bottom to get to the control board.

Pic4.jpg

You have to make a smaller jumper wire to bypass the control board. 2 spade connectors and a few inches of 14 gauge wire.

Pic5.jpg

The control board in located within the black plastic enclosure.

Pic6.jpg

The black plastic enclosure uses security screws. I did not have the correct tool but I found a small screw driver worked.

Pic7.jpg

The control board is now out. I only had to worry about the black and red wires that is on the relay.

Pic8.jpg

Closer view of the control board. the black and red wires are the ones that need removed from the relay

Pic9.jpg

Wires removed and ready for the jumper wire.

Pic10.jpg

Jumper wire installed. I also wrapped the connections with electrical tape.

Pic11.jpg

Control board back in the enclosure and all the wires are tucked away safely around the box.

Pic12.jpg

I mounted the smoker temp probe just below the top rack in the middle. I used a self tapping screw.
I used a small piece of aluminum to make the bracket and I drilled a hole that was just big enough for the probe so that it would stay put but easy to remove.

Pic13.jpg

A little wider angle view of the probe location.

Pic14.jpg

Auber in action, well at least a test run.
It ran up to 225 and then stayed within 2 degrees of that for about 1 hr. what a difference.
I do plan on doing a calibration of the probes and then running an auto tune.

Pic15.jpg

Looks good. We’re the 15* swings reading from the smoker thermometer ? I know masterbuilt is known to have wacky thermometers. I don’t even know if the 15* swings would bother me too much but looks like you did some nice work!

I was seeing it with my own temp probe.
My thermometer is a dual probe, I use one from the meat and the other for smoker temp.

The MES just would wait too long to cycle the heating element on and it seemed that but the time it came on the smoker temp was already down almost 10 degrees and it would continue to swing lower a few more degrees before it would go back to the set temp but then it would overshoot the set point by maybe 5 degrees.

I have used the MES now for a few yrs and love it. Great little smoker. I just decided that it was time to make a few improvements to it to make it even better.

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
Did this conversion on my 40" Adventure Series a few weekends ago and it went really well. I have the wifi version and the app is... acceptable.
Did an excellent job on summer sausage, barely any case hardening compared to the factory controller.

Nice work!!!
Welcome to the PID club hahaha.

Just a heads up. With your smoker probe mounted so high you will get much hotter tempers at lower rack levels.
This will really only matter if you are doing sausage and/or bacon since the temp control has to be really tight to not cause fat out. If you aren't smoking this kind of stuff then you have no worries :)

I look forward to seeing how it all comes out in the end and what you make with your new smoker (adding a PID makes it like a better and new smoker lol).

Reactions: MJB05615
Great job. Like tallbm tallbm stated, for that reason I left mine unattached so I can move around depending where I have racks at and place close to product being smoked.

Reactions: tallbm
Nice work!!!
Welcome to the PID club hahaha.

Just a heads up. With your smoker probe mounted so high you will get much hotter tempers at lower rack levels.
This will really only matter if you are doing sausage and/or bacon since the temp control has to be really tight to not cause fat out. If you aren't smoking this kind of stuff then you have no worries :)

I look forward to seeing how it all comes out in the end and what you make with your new smoker (adding a PID makes it like a better and new smoker lol).
Thanks for the heads up on the temp probe location.
Maybe I can make a second bracket and mount it lower down so that I can have choices on probe location.

Reactions: Winterrider
Thanks for the heads up on the temp probe location.
Maybe I can make a second bracket and mount it lower down so that I can have choices on probe location.
Yeah multiple brackets for moving it would be cool

Great work. I added the Auber non WiFi to mine a year and a half ago. It really made it like a new Smoker.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Actually now that I think of it. I always place my probe under the lowest middle rack to get the best/tightest response times so I would highly suggest you put a probe holding bracket there for sure.
The higher racks wont get as hot but all you have to do is dial up the set temp a little bit if you need higher racks to get more heat. Simple, yet you get to keep your performance super tight :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky