MES 40 not heating up.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coryjac0b

Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Well I did a boston butt last night for new years lunch today.  I noticed right after midnight last night that the smoker wouldn't heat up above 190. It had been in there 3 hours by midnight.  Thinking that it was a little cool and just needed more time to heat, went to sleep. The temp at 7 his morning was still siting at 190 according to my maverick.  The smoker said it was at 230.  The temp of the meat was only at 145.  Disappointed in the smoker, i took it out and finished it in the oven in the house.  Outdoor temp was maybe in the 60s, nothing cold.  I don't think that should have affected the temp of the smoker.  I cranked the smoker up to 275 to see if it would rise, and it wouldn't stayed at 190 for another hour.  

I have not had a problem with the smoker since this.  This is actually the first time I was using it at a temp above 200.  I mostly do jerky.

Anyone else experience this?

What model number MES and what year did you purchase it?

Sounds like it could be the wiring on the heating element or the controller.

If you have a heating element access door on the back of the unit.

Look for loose or burnt wired connections to the heating element.

I have included some pictures of the heating element access door and

a pic of what the bad wiring would look like.

I believe I have the 20070311. It was purchased around march of 2012.  I'll have to check the wiring after work today.

-Thanks.

I agree with TexaCajun.

But you might check the top controller as well.

My remote control gave up the ghost a few months ago, and I have to set it up on the control panel on top of the unit. I had a loose wire that was giving me trouble, but managed to get it fixed, and now it works like a charm.

Even then I still use my Maverick probe to make sure mine is making the temps I set it too.  I found that on my MES 40 that the unit just isn't accurate enough.

I wish you much luck!

Are you using an extension cord?

Sometimes the controller can lockup, if you go for a period without seeing the cabinet temp changing then do a reset.  The proper way to reset the MES control is to first shut off the MES at the control using the on/off button.  Next unplug the MES for 10-20 sec, re-plugin the MES to your power source, then turn it back on and reset your temp and time.  (This was a infrequent problem on older MES controllers including mine,  I now make it a habit after I get the meat in to do the reset instead of finding out an hour later it isn't working properly).  During the first two hours of your smoke you should be monitoring the temp every 10-15 minutes, making sure the temp is ramping up toward set temp.  I love having a Maverick 732 now which makes monitoring the temp from any location around the house so easy, instead of having to walk to the smoker and check that temp.

I am using an extension cord.

I have the maverick 732 also.  I will keep the reset in mind.  I usually unplug the smoker when it's not in use.  

For a little test I turned on the smoker and put it on 275 an hour and a half ago and i went to check the temp and it was at 290 according to the maverick.  I turned it down to 230 to see if it would stay there.

I checked the wiring it looks good, no corrosion or anything.  Maybe it just needed to be reset.

Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky